Logo

1998 honda 130hp

outback32

Regular Contributor
hey guys im looking at a boat with a 1998 honda 130hp. is there any known problems with these engines. I know next to nothing about honda outboards.I am kinda concerned about buying a 22 year old engine. Thanks fornthe help

I have a 1999, had it 4 years now and it has worked fine. There are
some known issues with them though. I’d suggest you post your serial number
on here and you’ll get some good feedback from others on here
who are more knowledgeable.

Any idea how many hours? Was it used in salt water? Was it well maintained? Does it currently run well from idle to full rpm?

I have no regrets from buying my boat with this outboard on it, it was a good deal on a hard to find Boston Whaler Outrage 18. I also recognize it’s a 20 year old outboard used in salt water so there is a risk it blows up. Parts are readily available on eBay, there is also a Honda shop manual available amd
this is a great site when you have questions. Do you have a good Honda dealer near you?

Don

The early 130's seemed to have a lot of problems. Research it deeply. Personally, I would not buy a boat with an old Honda 130 and I have advise others to not buy them. That is, unless you plan to re-power after purchase. On the other hand, the 135's (successor to the 130) and 150's seem to be excellent engines with few problems.

Back