Logo

1976 OMC 175 Hp crank but won’t turn over.

Bruton1984

I have a 1976 Fiberform with a 1976 OMC 175 hp sterndrive. I took the boat out about 6 weeks ago and the starter was starting to go bad. I replaced the starter and went to turn it on and the motor would not turnover. I replaced the batteries, start solenoid, ignition coil, distributor, rotor, spark plugs, ignition switch and plug wires and nothing. Fuel is getting to the carb. Not sure what else to do.

I replaced the starter and went to turn it on and the motor would not turnover.

Ayuh,....... Does the motor rotate when you turn the key, 'n the starter engages,..??

Are you sayin' it wont start,..??

Ayuh,....... Does the engine rotate when you turn the key, 'n the starter engages,..??

Are you sayin' it wont start,..??
The engine rotates but will not run

"crank but won't turn over" FYI..... "crank" and "turn over" are one in the same.
I think that you mean that it will crank and turn over, but will not fire off, which leads me to the same question as Bob has.

Bruton1984 said:
I have a 1976 Fiberform with a 1976 OMC 175 hp sterndrive. I took the boat out about 6 weeks ago and the starter was starting to go bad. I replaced the starter and went to turn it on and the engine would not turnover.

Will not turn over, or will not fire off???

I replaced the batteries, start solenoid, ignition coil, distributor, rotor, spark plugs, ignition switch and plug wires and nothing.

Suggestion:
In the future, do not replace this many parts at one time. Instead, use the P of E.... (process of elimination) by testing/replacing one item ONLY at a time, and then replacing the next item ONLY when the previous item is proven to be OK or not the culprit.

Fuel is getting to the carb. Not sure what else to do.

Assuming that the starter motor is indeed turning the engine over:

..... while fuel may be getting to the carburetor, check to see if the carburetor's low speed circuits are delivering fuel to the throttle bores.

..... check for proper ignition spark. You will want to see a hot whitish/bluish spark that makes an audible "snap"....... not a yellowish spark.

..... if the ignition distributor is still using a kettering system (contact points), how are you adjusting the contact points? This should be done with a dwell angle meter.

..... check cylinder pressures.... they must be within specs. You may want to perform a cylinder pressure test.... (aka compression test).

..... did you go back in with a 1976 OEM style starter motor that is NOT HTGR/PMGR? If so, these do not spin the engine quite a fast.

Take is slowly, methodically and systematically...... and you will find the problem.

Back