Logo

minnkota intermittently turns off on off on when in 4th or 5th gear

glh7825

my minnkota endura 30 after running for about 5 mins in 5th gear will intermittently turn off then on then off again when in 4th or 5th gear, gears 1-3 work fine . I replaced the gear switch thinking that was it ,but it still does it . Anybody have any ideas?????

Do you have a automatic circuit breaker in line? Also look at the circuit board for signs of burning or overheat.

ah yes it has a 24vdc T44 50 amp "SHORT STOP" inline near the battery .the tag on the motor says to insstall a 60 amp manual circuit breaker in that position. Maybe the short stop is kicking out because its only 50 amp ? where is the circuit board located, inside the gear switch? Thanks Lepke

I don't know your model, but the circuit breaker is easy to trip when running flat out for extended periods on some motors. I don't know where the circuit board is, I suppose inside the housing. But when things like these motors fail there's usually a part on the circuit board the shows heat or a component shows heat damage. If you do have a damaged board, and the manufacturer is no help or too expensive, there are people online that fix circuit boards of all kinds. Sometimes the heat unsolders components. On electric outboards I have owned, most have wiring that barely meets the amps at full throttle and if you extend the wiring you'll have trouble. The longer the wire run, the bigger the voltage drop. As the battery gets discharged, running at full throttle will cause the motor to draw more amps as the voltage drops. So a battery half discharged will cause the motor to draw more amps, possibly more than your circuit breaker.

Back