Logo

OMC 4.3l making a mechanical noise

Magnus_eriksson

Hello,
I experience a mechanical noise from my OMC 4.3l, -89. I have ran out of possible leads and need some new thoughts on what may cause this problem.
See the attached video
I have been listening with a stethoscope to try to locate the source of the noise. I did have some bad valves so replaced the hydraulic lifters and adjusted the valves, but the main noise is still there and it seems like it is coming from just behind the harmonic balancer. So I bought a new harmonic balancer, but it didnt change anything.
I have pulled one sparkplug cable at a time to see if there is a difference on noise/charachter but cant hear any difference.
The engine was out for replacement of crankshaft bearings a few years ago so shouldnt be a bearing issue.
Any ideas on what the issue might be? I am completely out of leads at this point....

Kind regards
Magnus

The engine was out for replacement of crankshaft bearings a few years ago so shouldnt be a bearing issue.

Ayuh,...... I wouldn't be so sure of that,......

Sounds like it's time to pull the motor, 'n look,........ or replace it,......

Nasty....agreed. Major issue with a bearing. I actually almost dropped the phone when I opened the video clip.

Back