Logo

1982 9.9m 2stroke need ignition specs

Joe72

Hello everyone, new to the boating scene and having a hard time finding specs or a decent manual on this motor. I believe it’s an 1982 Yamaha mariner 9.9m serial 682c s 058482. Just got a DVA to hook up to my fluke meter, but can’t find the correct info for this specific model. Could someone please lead me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!!

From what I understand, this Mariner was produced by Yamaha during this year.parts are similar. I wonder if specs would be the same? Thank you sir.

Yamaha did indeed manufacture the Mariner line of outboard motors. For Mercury Marine. Mercury Marine sold the motors and provided the applicable data to support the model. The parts catalog and the service manual for instance. Mercury Marine may or may not still be able to provide a service manual for your motor.

Yamaha USA did not come into being until 1984 here in the USA. They would have no data or information whatsoever with respect to a 1982 model year Mariner motor.

Now if one believes (not unreasonable to do so IMO) that a 1982 Mariner 9.9 is the equivalent of a Yamaha 1984 9.9 then the Yamaha service manual for that model could very well apply to your Mariner motor. The Yamaha SM is available from most any Yamaha dealer. You can view the Yamaha 1984 9.9 parts book for free to see to what extent it looks like your motor.

The chances of anyone having both SM's, so that one could be compared to the other, are probably not as good as winning Powerball. I lost again last night. Thought sure that I was gonna win.

Thanks again and I have no luck with lottery’s of any kind �� So I will give you a brief history of what I’ve been going through. Bought this 12 foot aluminum boat with this 9.9 mariner A couple of months ago. The boat had set outside for about eight years covered. Did the proper maintenance on it before I took it out and the boat ran wonderful for a few trips which equaled to about 10 hours. Then out of the blue it completely stopped, brought it home did some research cross the part numbers and replaced the CDI. Took it to the lake started up ran for a while then stopped again brought it home it started right up once it warmed up it shut off so then I replaced the ignition coils thinking that when it got hot and shut off it was ignition coils replaced ignition coil. So after that started it up ran wonderful longer than it ever has since this has gone on shut it off went to start it again nothing, took apart the Killswitch and inspected that everything looks good put it back together still nothing so now this is why I bought the DVA to test stater and trigger and/or pulser coil . I’ve done automotive mechanics most of my life and I am fairly good at troubleshooting with the right information this has really tested my patience. Thought I had a guy that was going to help me but sold me an 18 hp Evinrude, said it would at least get me on the water for now until I get my other motor fixed but it died on me the same day I bought it so I rebuilt the carb got it running good to find out it slips in gear and is taking on water in the lower unit I have already had enough of these two-stroke motors LOL but I do love the 9.9 it seems to be better and more powerful than the 18 hp Evinrude just want to get back on the water found something I really enjoy but it’s really starting to piss me off LOL

Thank you, I really appreciate your time and help, going to run these tests this evening. I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire here and hope to solve this one tonight! Just finished up with a leaking sewer line under the camper and taking care of my parents property. As Dad would say life’s a big **** sandwich, the more bread ya got the less **** you taste.... I tend to eat a lot of **** �� Thsnks again for your help!

Joe,
I've been told by "Galamb" on this site that my '82 Mariner 15 is in fact a Yamaha '78 model. My Mariner is a great motor, bought it new in '83, but apparently Yamaha sold Mariner 4year old technology. That's OK, because I love this motor.
This site has been great, lots of experts on here.
Steve

Joe,
I've been told by "Galamb" on this site that my '82 Mariner 15 is in fact a Yamaha '78 model. My Mariner is a great motor, bought it new in '83, but apparently Yamaha sold Mariner 4year old technology. That's OK, because I love this motor.
This site has been great, lots of experts on here.
Steve
Huh? I suspect what you might have heard is that a 1982 Mariner is identical to a 1978 Yamaha.

Yamaha made Mariners for a number of years. It is not uncommon for one model year (say a 1978 50 HP) to be identical to a five years later model year (a 1983 50 HP). Only difference being when the parts were assembled. One reason that all of the motor makers did away with model years. There was no sense in having them.

Huh? I suspect what you might have heard is that a 1982 Mariner is identical to a 1978 Yamaha.

Yamaha made Mariners for a number of years. It is not uncommon for one model year (say a 1978 50 HP) to be identical to a five years later model year (a 1983 50 HP). Only difference being when the parts were assembled. One reason that all of the motor makers did away with model years. There was no sense in having them.

Yes, I may have stated that in a misleading way, sorry. So, do you know if a '78 Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke is identical to an '82?

Back