Logo

Omc stringer steering?

Mikey N.C.

Advanced Contributor
We've got a dinosaur at shop . have never removed one has old blue GM.
Any advice , steering is locked up. Motor does have to come out rite???

Don't think so... all steering is done "outboard" of the open toothed gear pair that transmits power to the drive...as I recall. More than one type of steering system on these... One, I believe is a simple external tiller push/pull rod, the other a gear on the steering cable rotates and actuates a sector gear internal to the lower unit... Think there is a wire cable version as well.
Sorry, been a long time. In neither case should the engine need to be removed.... First check and see if the problem is "inside" the hull or outside, i.e. is the helm mechanism ok.

Last edited:
Sandkicker, if you don't mind call me at 919-721-0615.
I've sent 2 detailed PM's to you but it doesn't work. I'm just wondering how the aft. Steering gear shaft is not in alignment. With steering gear box ? It's a '81 , just trying to fix for a customer if possible, he knows it's a dinosaur, it was he's dad's and he's been using it for years. He just wanted to fix it. He gave me the new transom seal and ring. It's in a 21' cuddy cabin. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS

Sandkicker, if you don't mind call me at 919-721-0615.
I've sent 2 detailed PM's to you but it doesn't work. I'm just wondering how the aft. Steering gear shaft is not in alignment. With steering gear box ? It's a '81 , just trying to fix for a customer if possible, he knows it's a dinosaur, it was he's dad's and he's been using it for years. He just wanted to fix it. He gave me the new transom seal and ring. It's in a 21' cuddy cabin. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS

There's a grease fitting inside side of the transom on the intermediate housing. Probably never been greased. So, you'll want to remove outdrive -try steering - if still seized, remove steering cable from intermediate. Then use a heel bar to pull the steer shaft out of the rear of the intermediate. Grease everything up.

to remove steer cable drum at the back, slide the plastic cover off- have someone steer while you watch drum, you'll see a screw come around - take that screw out. Careful with the torque at reinstall - it's threaded into aluminum

Back