Logo

Alpha One Gen 2 Grease Seal

UTBMXCruiser

I'm gathering the tools and have received the Quicksilver transom kit. With the tools coming I'm in this thing a little over 500 bucks. I'm gonna start tearing into this thing this weekend.

Watching YouTube videos, I see what I think is the grease seal forward of the Gimbal Bearing once it is removed. Can that be changed without pulling the transom plate??? Do I even need to replace it while I'm in there? It appears to be installed facing forward toward the engine coupler. Could it be installed facing to the rear (toward the gimbal bearing) and still do it's intended job??? I went ahead and bought the grease seal installation tool that goes with this tool set. I'm not sure if this tool would work driving the back side of that seal in from the rear with the front of the seal toward the coupler. Got that bellows ring installer too.

I don't want to have to pull that transom plate off the back of the boat due to lack of internal access behind the motor in this boat. That looks like a royal pain in the ass! I don't want go any further other than what I can see looking forward. And for sure thank you for your advice so far. I'm sure I can do this job, but I've never done it before!

All that seal does is keep gimbal bearing grease out of the bilge don’t worry about changing it. Also if you are using a newer permalube bearing it is irrelevant since you won’t be greasing it

Back