Logo

Install U-joint to PDS on AC270

npwiesne

1980 Bayliner Exlorer
AC120B
270 Outdrive

This question is a follow up to 270 will not engage. Thanks to all the advice I diagnosed a bad u-joint and (mostly, except for below) successfully replaced it. I'm stuck right now trying to get the female end of the u-joint over the PDS. It has proven more difficult to line up and advance in than imagined. Any pro-tips are greatly appreciated.

I've got the bellow attached to the hull side and pivot pins out (stern drive is not attached anywhere). I'm trying to get the female end over the PDS first and then start buckling it up. I cannot get the angle or teeth lined up properly. If there is a tried and to method please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Nathaniel

The only way to do it while completely assembled is to EXACTLY line up the drive and its latch with the cross pin on the transom shield and then align to "forks" to the transom shield. It helps if you have enough clearance above ground to swing the drive in a slightly negative rake ( kicked in instead of vertical or kicked out). Doing this aligns the U joint roughly in two dimensions relative to the splines from the engine, and the final alignment is easier with your hand on the U joint inside the boot (attached at the transom, not the drive) . Its a two person job unless you can figure out a way to lash the drive to the boat and take up some of the weight. Local yards have a drive dolly/lift jack to help with this.....or... as Ricardo suggests, dismantle the drive. I take the one piece route so I don't have to deal with an open drive in an open boatyard with wind blown sand and resealing the drive. Typically takes me and a helper about 20 mins of fooling around to get it to line up correctly. If the boat is NOT high enough so that the tip of the drive is at least one inch above the ground when mounted, it is VERY difficult to do one piece ( without a special drive jack). I would be much faster if I did it more than once every 3 to 5 seasons.

Thanks Ricardo, I am in the home stretch now. One, hopefully last question, regarding the pivot pins. There appears to be a plastic bushing on the stern drive receiver side where the pin drives in. Do you know the part number for that? I have an e-copy of a factory manual but doesn't seem to list that part.

Nathaniel

Hang the intermediate housing and lower unit first!
Then install the transmission last.

Hang the intermediate housing and lower unit first!
Then install the transmission last.

Let me further explain:

I performed Volvo Penta AQ series service work for 24/25 years.
In the time that I spent doing this, only once did I attempt to install an entire AQ series drive, and that pertained to my very first drive removal/installation.
I mentored by way of a friend who is a very savvy Volvo Penta mechanic.

After seeing the advantages of removing the transmission first, and then installing it last, I used that technique exclusively from that point on.

My suggestions:

Pull the transmission only for any:
..... universal shaft work.
..... drive shaft bellows replacement.
..... transmission disassembly.
..... transmission replacement.
..... water neck fitting replacement.
..... shift cable replacement.

After the transmission has been removed, pull the hinge pins, suspension fork and Intermediate housing (as a unit) for any:
..... Intermediate housing work.
..... Reverse latch replacement work.
..... pivot tube replacement.
..... pivot tube bushing/bearing replacement.

Prior to the above only, pull the lower gear unit for any:
..... lower gear unit work.
..... prop shaft seal replacement.
..... complete lower gear unit replacement.
..... adding a Duo Prop lower gear unit.

Re-install in the reverse order!

Do this, and it will be much less frustrating.

Thanks Ricardo, I have the stern drive on the boat and getting ready to drive in the pivot pins.

The question I have pertains to the pivot pins as one side seems very loose in the stern drive mating side, based on visual inspection it looks like it is missing a bushing to create a tighter fit. I see the part number for the pin and locking bolt but nothing for the bushing. Any ideas on good replacements for missing bushing are greatly appreciated. Pic is attached.

Nathaniel

Pivot Pin Bushing1.jpg

Thanks Ricardo, I am in the home stretch now. One, hopefully last question, regarding the pivot pins. There appears to be a plastic bushing on the stern drive receiver side where the pin drives in. Do you know the part number for that? I have an e-copy of a factory manual but doesn't seem to list that part.

Nathaniel

Yes, those would be the suspension fork hinge pins bushings.
Volvo Penta OEM p/n 826341

vp0826341_lg.jpg

Make sure that your hinge pins did not become expanded during removal.
(a steel punch can damage them)

If so, roll the hinge pins gently against a fine disc, removing just enough to get rid of the expanded areas.

AQ series hinge pin truing.jpg

Last edited:
Back