Logo

solid alarm for about a min chk eng lite on then goes out when i start the boat model E175EXECD

Jerry T

I have read the trb shoot section of the book and it leads to fuel problems . I just went through the entire gas section new hoses check valve pk up in tank new vro pump ....out of ideas and dont have a way to read the lights no flashes when i turn the key on ...Can any of you guys with some background on this engine give me another idea??

I replaced the primer bulb but it still isnt hard as if I just pumped it up...also I notice it alarms only if it sets awhile...thats why i replaced the entire fuel system right up to rebuilding carbs etc

BTW I just rechecked the book again and it said possibly elewctrical issue ie battery rectifier stator charger etc..is that common

Turn key on , don't crank . you should get 1 solid alarm , checked system. if u wait and u hear alarm go off count the beeps.

Ive done that it goes through the tone lites and then nothing. once it went back to chk engine light and then shut off If I pump up squeeze bulb is it suppose to remain hard as you pump it up...If so what does the fuel go into after the vro pump because that is the only thing that isnt new and I dont have gas in side motor comartment I changed all the hoses checkvalve and pickup in tank vro pump rebuilt all the carbs ...I never had any problem the boat ran very good but the alarm comes on everyonce in a while and its driving me nuts

I replaced the primer bulb but it still isnt hard as if I just pumped it up...also I notice it alarms only if it sets awhile...thats why i replaced the entire fuel system right up to rebuilding carbs etc
Is primer bulb going flat at hi rpm??

Test Suggestion

On the older models... Small black plastic horn, two slide on terminals, one attached ground wire... if the horn beeped constantly simply by turning the key "ON" (Which you indicate... Not Running)... it was always due to the horn itself becoming faulty.

In the above case, if your horn has the same wiring setup... with the horn beeping constantly as you indicate... If removing the TAN wire from the horn results in "No Change" and the horn continues to beep constantly... if it were me, I'd replace the horn

I dont believe it is a faulty horn as when i turn on the motor i hear the horn and see the lights go through the check...Today I took it out on the lake and ran it ...it ran perfect but the check engine light came on...this time quite a bit so I was checking to see if anything abnormal and the only thing i can see abnormal is the votage reading in my fish finder is above 13.9 when the check engine light comes on... could this be the problem.. ive been suspious of this as my batteries are dying quick is

jerry,we are trying to help you but as of now you have not answered our questions or done what we ask. Have a nice weekend.

Maybe I'm not understanding the questions asked ...I answered no iights or horn on amp meter.....the alarm horn works...what are you asking that I didnt answer?

jooereeves...When I START the boat it beeps through the four lites as usual...Engine running...THEN the horn sounds for about a min check engine light on and horn shuts off and a few seconds later check engine light shuts off also. I may not have explained the condition correctly. IM going to check the rectifier regulator today but If you don't mind another question...Accoding to the book it says when the engine light comes on it says to check batteries cables and regulator. If I am seeing 15 v on my fishfinder when the chk engine light comes on when Im on plane could that possibly be that regulator.. It finally is showing up more than once a day...thank you in advance

Yeah Jerry, understood... no problem on my end. I retired years before your wiring system was even thought of. I just thought I'd pass along a quick test we used to do when that damn thing beeped constantly without starting the engine.

Someday when/if that happens... keep that test in mind.

jooereeves...When I START the boat it beeps through the four lites as usual...Engine running...THEN the horn sounds for about a min check engine light on and horn shuts off and a few seconds later check engine light shuts off also. I may not have explained the condition correctly. IM going to check the rectifier regulator today but If you don't mind another question...Accoding to the book it says when the engine light comes on it says to check batteries cables and regulator. If I am seeing 15 v on my fishfinder when the chk engine light comes on when Im on plane could that possibly be that regulator.. It finally is showing up more than once a day...thank you in advance
What voltage do you see on the fishfinder when the check eng lite is off?
How many fuel filters do you have? How many did you change/replace?

The check engine lites ONLY function is to warn you of a fuel restriction. Granted,you could have a bad fuel restriction vacuum switch,a chafed wire going to ground,a faulty tachometer. It does NOT beep out a code. Are you sure you have the correct service manual,sounds like you have one for fuel injected motor ?

And again I appreciate you guys and help that you provide...I have worked on alot of mechanics {HVAC and Farm Equip}also but not much marine and when you see that newbie on top thats me... I am just getting to know this boat 2100 Striper with 175 evinrude...I have been having problems with the VRO since I got it. I think thats why the guy sold it. I did in fact get it running pretty good by mixing the gas myself and installing a regulat fuel pump....BUT after reading the forum here on miths about VRO, I decided to put it back to normal. Thats why I went through the entire fuel system based on that read on this forum. So essentially I.m not throwing money at it just trying to get it to function the way its suppose to. I"M hoping... I'm on the right track now on the regulator ive been reading the book on how to test it and it tested bad so I just ordered another...again thanks for your time and advice

I do have the correct book...at least I think it is it covers carbs and FIET . I have been finding some things that dont match hoever. ie It said to start the idle screw adjustment at 4 turns and I think it was you that said on the forum 5 and it ran alot better. On my book it says if check engine light comes on... its electrical...totally contrary to you. I m having trble figuring out what way to go as I have a hard time with fuel as dam near went through everything except the things you just mentioned...Ill have to find these parts and check the book on how to test them...Your not the only one that has said chances are fuel prob with engine light...Its a work in progress lol...Do you think theres a chance it could be the rectifier regulator...I took it out friday and it actually started alarm on engine light more than just when I start it. Came on and off about three times in 10 min .I noticed the voltage on my finder was over 14.9 each time the alarm came on idled it back down and the light went off voltage back to 13...I really appreciate your help and Im trying to answer everything that ppl bring up let me know if I dont

When i bought my first john deer tractor,i got a john deer service manual..it only covers the tractor i have. I dont get confused by reading what does not pertain to my tractor.

I have 2 filters one large filter in line and one at the engine small part of engine. the voltage just over 13 when the lite shut off..power back up and voltage at 14,5 alarm comes on

The OEM gauges are known to have faults...this could be one that circuitry has failed and does not like excessive voltage

Back