Logo

Honda BF130s - Starting/Running issues

Deeze_Knotz

Hello all. I am new to posting on this forum so be gentle. I recently purchased a boat that has twin Honda BF130s and now I need all of your expertise wisdom to solve some issues. I believe they are either 99 or 2000 models and are NOT in physically rough shape and dont appear to have been abused. Description of problem: Port side engine will not stay running longer than about 1-2 seconds. ( on occasion i can get it to run for maybe 10 but no pattern to go from). I have discovered that with the breather box off I can physically spray fuel into the intake and keep it running smooth as silk as long as i'm spraying fuel. I have read several forums about the VST and the HP fuel pump failing as well as other issues. I did disconnect the HP fuel line and when I turn the key to run but not start the fuel does seem to come out of the line for about 2 seconds. Its not what I would call high pressure but its somewhat pouring out. I have messed with the throttle in neutral and tried to start with manipulation of the throttle, it will spit and sputter terribly at 3/4 throttle and if I was guessing it seems like its missing similar to a vehicle, however when I bring the throttle back its smooths out briefly for about 4 seconds before dying. I really think its a fuel related issue. Please help fellas.

Now, the starboard side engine. I have been unsuccessful in even starting this one yet. The starter seems like its spinning the engine much to slow to even have a chance to start. Its just like if your car battery was almost dead (similar sounds). I have a charger on the batteries and have even tried a jump box but nothing ever seems to change it. The batteries are not in bad shape and are relatively new. (2 bats for each engine, total of 4.) I believe the electrical systems are independent for each motor. I am just looking for guidance before I start moving heavy batteries around for test.

Thanks!

98 Worldcat 26.6

BF130s

I wonder if you have a fuel delivery problem, or fuel quality issue, clogged fuel lines or filters? On the line from the tank to the outboard that starts? Get a portable tank connected to this motor and see if anything changes?

Maybe deal with the first outboard and once it is running, work on #2?

Whats the history on these outboards, and idea how many hours on them? How long since they were running good? There are filters on the outboard, do they appear clear, no visible dirt or water in the bottom?

I agree with NSDON, If these engines sat around for a time with fuel in them, then a thorough cleaning of the VST and new filters is probably something that should be done.

I also think that your running it on spray in fuel has positively proven it's fuel starvation.

I THOUGHT I saw a reply from Ian about checking the fuel vent to make sure it's clear. But now it's not here??

As to your stbd engine not turning fast enough, it could simply be a poor connection in the main cables somewhere. Check your batteries INDEPENDENT of each other after they have been off the charger for a couple of hours. All of them should be around 12.6 volts. Any that have dropped to 12.4 volts or below are suspect and not holding a good charge.

If you have 1-2-BOTH switches, clean those terminals and cable ends along with all battery terminals and cable clamps.

While the batts are disconnected remove the positive cable from the starter motor and wire brush those surfaces.

It's a real pain but find where the negative cable bolts to the engine and clean that connection too.

These "chores" may not solve your problem but you will KNOW that the connections are clean and tight. You will then not have to wonder or guess about that if further troubleshooting is necessary.

You've got a bit of work to do but it should go quickly.

Good luck.

Good tips guys! I will dig into the VST filter area the best I can tonight and this weekend and see if I can find some blockage or gunk buildup. Once I get the port engine started and running good I will start looking into the electrical on the starboard side engine. Im going to leave that one alone for now just in case I need to look and see how everything is hooked up on the VST ..lol.

On the engine with a fuel issue, unplug the fuel pump and check the voltage, should be 12v for 2 secs when you turn on the key, then constant 12v while cranking and with engine running. Then remove the bolt with 12mm head on the high pressure filter cover and using a 6mm adapter, check that the fuel pressure gets up to 40 plus psi after cycling the fuel pump, in its current state it probably won't. If the 12v supply is good and there is no fuel pressure, then you will need a new pump and a full vapor separator clean and service.If the 12v supply is not there while cranking then you probably have a faulty main relay. Let me know what you come up with.

Ok, so I took apart the VST and it was literally rusty brown water/gas mix inside. It smelled funny, similar to straight moonshine with no gas smell at all. I did clean and blow out everything with the exception of the small strainer barrel style filter behind the triangle plate on the right side of the VST. That filter was absolutely in shambles, it was bent and falling apart and as rusty brown as it could be. I have looked online and cannot find that filter anywhere since I have no numbers to go off of. I didn't check the voltages or pressure but could tell I was getting some fuel but probably still not enough. I feel like I may be cleaning injectors out as well. With that said I did run off of a secondary clean tank of fuel as a test and it seemed to run and idle much better for about 5 minutes then it started its spitting and sputtering again and ultimately died. It got late so I decided to stop. I am almost under the assumption the guy who had it before me got some really bad gas and water. Does anyone know what filter that is behind the triangle plate? And what fuel pressure checker would I need to adapt to this for a test?

Thanks, Ok, I reevaluated and decided to pull the injectors and blow them out. MUCH better now. Seems like the fuel systems still needs a little more love but overall it runs much smoother.

What are you fuel tanks like? I’d order all these same filters for your second motor too. Do you have an external water separator and have you checked that filter? Pour contents into a clear container and see what’s there for dirt and water.
I would recommend you change all your tank fuel lines to your motors and your rubber bulb. And drain your fuel tank to see how dirty the fuel in there is. Add a bunch of sea foam to your fuel you are running the engine with now, if using a portable tank for that. It will clean the ethanol and gunk from your fuel system.
If your fuel filters and vst look that bad, the filters haven’t been changed in years and you’ve likely got a dirty tank. If you are smelling alcohol not gas, you’ve probably got separated ethanol fuel in your tank.
If this engine looks like this, chances are the second one is the same. Anything you do to one, do to the other.
Next, check your thermostats, they may look as bad as your fuel filters. And do a major flush.

Buy a Honda factory manual for this outboard, nothing else. I’ve had one since I bought my 1999 130 and they pay for themselves on no time.

Also, this site is the best place I’ve found for help on Honda’s, the people replying are very knowledgeable and helpful. I’m still learning and my above advice is mostly based on common sense and having played a bit with my 130. I’m into old cars and they have the same issues with ethanol fuel and old gas in their tanks. I’ve been using sea foam for 15 years at least.

Last edited:
I will be pulling the fuel sender/check valve out and then attempting to manually pump out the fuel tanks. By the state of the fuel that was in the VST , cleaning out the fuel tanks needs to be done. I bet they will be absolutely horrid. I did pull the starter off of the starboard engine and its for sure toast, got that ordered. Ill be posting some pics soon.

Back