Logo

275 main pinion gear hole location on clamp ring and upper gear case housing

tomboat

Hi all,
on my 275 I have installed new ujionts and the oil hole? on the main gear that attaches to the u join spline is located at the top area of the clamp ring aligned where the helmet bolt hole is- it came that way oem-never been worked on. Is this oil hole? in the right location?- it has always been in that location- never had a problem with the upper gears or bearings in the gear box , if oil hole? is in the wrong location then I will have to take everything apart and turn the hole face down at the bottom of the clamp ring= a lot of work- not easy. your thoughts and suggestions please.

thanks, towboat

Hi all,
on my 275 I have installed new ujionts and the oil hole on the main gear that attaches to the u join spline is located at the top area of the clamp ring aligned where the helmet bolt hole is
The oiling hole is in the bearing box so that it can introduce oil between the two bearings.

- it came that way oem-never been worked on. Is this oil hole in the right location?-
See my image below.

it has always been in that location- never had a problem with the upper gears or bearings in the gear box , if oil hole? is in the wrong location then I will have to take everything apart and turn the hole face down at the bottom of the clamp ring= a lot of work- not easy. your thoughts and suggestions please.
If you could take it apart and index things so that the oiling hole was to face down:
1.... you have a Pre A transmission with the steel bearing box and aluminum clamping collar.
2.... you would have no receptacle for the indexing pin.
3.... you would have no oil supply to the two main drive gear bearings.

thanks, towboat

FYI.... a pinion gear is associated with a Ring & Pinion gear system.
In your AQ series transmission, you will have a "drive" gear and two "driven" gears.

The oiling hole that you speak of is in the bearing box.
Depending on which transmission you have (Pre A or A style), the oiling hole will be in either the integrated aluminum bearing box (left side of image) or in
the all steel bearing box (right side of image).
In either case, it must be at the 12:00 O'clock position.

AQ series transmission bearing box oiling hole.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the info- I have a 1973 275 and the hole is at the top-- I want to rinse off the gears and bearings and flush out the upper gear box- can I use diesel fuel wash and flush out any small particles? will the diesel fuel affect the o rings and seals and do a good rinse job? or what other rinse solutions do you recommend?
thanks, tomboat

You are welcome!

Since it is a petroleum product, diesel oil will not harm the O-rings or seals.
However, all O-rings and seals should be replaced anyway.

Make dang sure that all shims go back in where they were previously.

By the way..... if you have access to QuickSilver "Perfect Seal", I would suggest using it on the cap screw threads and around the O-ring seating areas.

Back