Logo

Fuel Supply System Replacement

Solarity

I have a 1998 Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi (PBYCCE) engine with about 250hrs. The engine starts quickly, sounds good, and runs fine at low speed. When I try to speed-up (above 2500rpm) it seems to starve for fuel, and sometimes dies. I have analyzed and find no problems with the ECU and electrical systems (its definitely not engine protection mode). Problem is most likely in the fuel system.

This engine has the two fuel pumps in separate locations, both near the engine's starboard side. The low pressure pump (3858260) is with the filter (3851218) at the front, and high pressure pump (3857650) and the vapor reservoir (3854149+) are at the back.

Since most of these parts are obsolete, can this entire fuel supply system be replaced by the newer fuel system module (part number 21545138). This unified device has both pumps, the filter and reservoir in a single consolidated unit, and mounts in position of the current LP pump & filter.

Will the existing fuel regulator be able to handle the higher pressure?
Are the new fuel hoses threaded and sized to directly replace the old fuel lines?
Will the new mounting bracket (21358873) align properly with the bolt holes on the block?

Further analysis indicates that the proper replacement module would be part number 3861355 (orig. 3860210, now 23306461) and associated bracket (3860397).

Has anyone successfully tried this fuel system exchange?

Having received no responses (and no adverse cautions), I replaced my GiPBYCCE fuel system with a pseudo-GiPEFS unit, and have very good/excellent results. My plan was to install a fully VP designed GiPEFS system, and what I now have is virtually identical the VP GiPEFS installation (hence pseudo). Because of several issues and part unavailability, I had to mix, match and fabricate to make it work.

1. WIRING: My original system had the two fuel pumps in divergent locations: one in front of and the other after the block. Since the new module had both pumps at the front, some re-wiring might be required. However, in tracing the fuel pump power circuits, I found that the rear wiring ran from the fuel pump relay that is nearby the front pump. Therefore by unwinding the harness, and re-routing the rear circuit, then re-taping the harness, both power leads were at the front.

2. BRACKET: The VP mounting bracket (3861031) I got was not exactly for the GiPEFS configuration. Bread-boarding it showed a problem: it moved the pump farther to starboard than the original low-pressure pump/filter unit. To use it, the power lead for the low pressure pump would need to be lengthened. Also, the main water-cooling return hose would need to be replaced. As a result, I made a custom mounting bracket, which alleviated these problems.

3. HOSES: Both old and new modules had five hook-ups: fuel feed, fuel return, vacuum, cooling water in and out. I reused the water hoses and vacuum line from the old unit. I bought the standard GiPEFS VP return hose (3860207) which had correct fitting and worked fine with one problem: it was a bit short. I could not find a fuel-feed line that was long enough with the proper pressure fittings, so I had one made.

4. KNOCK-SENSOR MODULE: This module is bolted to the throttle body at its back-starboard corner. As mentioned above, the fuel return line could not be routed around this module, and reach the reservoir unit in the new fuel-pump module. In searching for another place to mount it, I found it bolted nicely to the back of the ECM support bracket, using a common bolt with the MAP sensor.

5. HIGH-PRESSURE VALVE: This new system had no valve for testing the high-pressure fuel line making it difficult to fine-tune the engine. I replaced the original throttle-body fuel-feed nut with one that provided a port for a Schrader value. I bought it from CFM technologies,

Back