Logo

Rebuilding my Yamaha 676 and Yamaha/Mariner 6E9 compatiblity ?

HF1600ie

Dear all,
Been reading since a long time, but only today decided to write.

Unfortunately while preparing for my first time with the boat in the sea I found that my Yamaha 40hp block is cracked at the block (10cm) from previous owner and its repair is not reliable. Previous owner doesn´t assume, long story short = I will do the repair.
Still, the engine works, but sweats petrol through the crack.

My engine is a Yamaha 40DE, eletric start, long-shaft, 2 cyl, 2 stroke, 1 carb, 4118** serial number. Its the red/white stripes model, from 1981, It seems.

I want to rebuild the engine and found there is a certain compatibility between the Yamaha 676 and the Yamaha 6E9 as well as the Mariner 6E9. So, I decided to get a Mariner 6E9 engine that I will be using as spares to rebuild my Yamaha. Or, use the best parts from both and get a single one of them working and save the rest as spares.

Can I order the full powerhead gasket kit for the 6E9 ? From all that I can see, it seems to me that ony the intake manifold gasket (carb side) will be different due to number of carbs. But it can always be cut individually if needed.

Also, is the water pump and impeller kit the same for both 676 and 6E9 ?

Last, I will need to replace the thermostat in my 676 as mine was corroded and broken. I can see the thermostat housing is different from 676 and 6E9 because 6E9 has a slot for a sensor in the head which makes a small curve in the thermostat housing where 676 engine doesn´t have this. Therefore, 676 and 6E9 have different thermostat covers and gaskets (very similar, but different).
But, is the thermostat valve itself the same between the two? I think it is.

I came across the following codes which may be just what I need. Can anyone confirm? My local shop doesn´t even find the parts for my engine.

656-12411-0 = thermostat valve for Yamaha 676 ?
6F5-12411-0 = thermostat valve for Yamaha 6E9 ?
Are they both compatible ?

676-12414-A1 = thermostat gasket for 676 ? Already have one spare
6E9-12414-A1 =thermostat gasket for 6E9 ? Should come included in the full 6E9 rebuild gasket kit

Water pump Kit : 679-w0078-a1 (same for 676 and 6E9) ?

Any recommendations for the job would be appreciated. In sum, I just want to have a working engine from my Yamaha 676 and the Mariner 6E9 I have for spares. I don´t mind using mixed parts and just a 1 carburetor (Mine is working and I don´t know the condition of the other two in the 6E9. Plus I don´t see much advantage in using 2...maybe smoother operation ?.

Just want something simple and reliable.

Thanks !!

Back