Logo

How many engine hours from an outboard?

My Tohatsu 20 which I have just replaced with a Yamaha T25 despite only 400hours and 9 years use looks rough cosmetically and inside the lower cowel lots of superficial corrosion which I will have to clean up before I sell it. How many hours do peeps get from Yamahas? The high thrust motor looks masive for a 25 and I am hopeful for a long life but I am iinterested how many hours are clocked up on outboards?

Up here in fresh water, I have logged over 3000 hours on certain trolling motors like my 1965 Evinrude 6 hp Fisherman. It still runs perfectly and I expect to go 4000 hours......but I've been cheating by using Amsoil 100:1 for the last 40 years. Mix at 1.5 to 2 oz. per gallon and non oxy fuel.....in the old days leaded fuel and 40:1....... before Amsoil came out in the late 70's with their 100:1 product. Also had a 64 5.5 Johnson longshaft with similar hours that I sold to a neighbor 25 years back. Think I saw it hanging on the wall of his garage s couple years back. I just might buy it back from him. It was my Dad's trolling motor and he guided with it for 29 years....trolling 8 to 10 hours a day for Lake Trout. In salt water you will likely NEVER see this kind of longevity.

Acutely Tim,you can find motors with 3000hrs,but they are well taken care of. Im in south texas. Working on a 97 ficht now with 2367 hours.

Right, agree. Are you running the river, or sea? Just did a seawater Yamaha and it was scrap. Had to change out the block.....found one in my stock from NW Ontario. Brought home a Johnson 85 got lifted off the trailer on it's fibreglass runabout and thrown against the guy's house by Hurricane Andrew. My brother lived near Homestead Florida. What a mess. Like hell on earth.....spent 4 weeks trying to save his house. In his neighborhood 60 percent of the homes were not repairable. That Johnson turned out very good.....even with it's whole life in saltwater. The guy always took it back home immediately flushing it thoroughly. Certainly, my friend.....it's all about maintenance.

Back