Logo

Engine not running at top speed

good01

Regular Contributor
I have a Evinrude 225 ocean pro 2001. [FONT=&quot]225VCXSIF the engine starts and Idles great. It even trolls great. My problem is it seems to take off great and wont climb past 4000 rpms. If I squeeze the ball while running I get a little more speed. I have changed both fuel filters. Found no water. changed fuel line from remote filter to engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The engine when running right would turn 5800 to 6000 on a calm day and boat would run around 24 to 28 mph.[/FONT]

I did the drop test at Idle made no difference. Also at 1500 rpm and made no difference. I am thinking the vro may be going bad. It is original.
Why?
Has it quite pumping gas?
Has it quite pumping oil?

Do all spark plugs look the same in color? Maybe post a picture.
Remove all six hi speed jets,if they are not clean,overhaul carbs with new kits.
Post results,please.

Why?
Has it quite pumping gas?
Has it quite pumping oil?

Do all spark plugs look the same in color? Maybe post a picture.
Remove all six hi speed jets,if they are not clean,overhaul carbs with new kits.
Post results,please.

Unfortunately I have changed plugs all ready. The plugs all looked the same. No it is pumping gas and oil. The mechanic at the marina seen me working on the boat today and came down and did some things. He thought maybe the timing was not advancing but it was. And he checked the ball it was good. It seem that when you go from low speed to full throttle it takes off but at 4000 rpm it hits a wall. I have also replaced all the fuel line and both filters. I also pulled the fitting out of the tank and both pick ups were clean.

Last edited:
And the carburetor jets?

Carbs and jets are good. I checked carbs and all jets. They were serviced last year. And still are clean. I cut old fuel filter open found nothing to be concerned about. Is it possible that a coil is goes out when at high rpm. I am going to hook a remote tank to it tomorrow to see if I am missing something fuel wise.

Water in fuel also.
Tank pick up tube can be 1 1/2 - 2 inch. from bottom of tank. Depends on boat. Ok water setting in gas , can't be found unless on the water, with boat bouncing around fuel.

I will do all that was suggested. I started tonight but weather moved in and had to stop.

I had a chance to go out today. Just for my own sake before I left I put 6 new plugs in. I noticed the new ones that I put in a week ago were a bit oily. Not fouled but they were oily. I went out and did a spark plug check by running along and then shutting off engine. All plugs were oily again. I also did the timing light deal and no plug quite firing. I am starting to believe it may be the vro.

So,we got desent compression,we got spark at this 4000rpm wall,our spark is advancing,all six throttle plates are going wide open. Correct???
Get a spray bottle with fuel in it and the buddy that helped before.carb cover off.run till you hit the wall,spray fuel into each carb body one at a time.an increase in rpm would be a cylinder of concern please post your results

I am going to try the spray bottle test tomorrow. Weather is bad again. I will let you know what I find. Racerone I will do that first.

OK I checked fly wheel key. That was good. I changed plug wires. While I was doing that I pulled the wire coming from the power pack the connections were corroded. I cleaned them best I could on the water. Engine seemed to have a bit more power. I think I may have some connection problems. I did manage to get to 16 mph and a extra 300 rpm. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back down there and check all connections for all the coils.

I went down today and checked all coils. a couple were pretty corroded on the ground straps. A couple looked pretty bad. I have a parts engine so I took the 6 off that and checked those coils and they checked good. They were new so I hoped they would be. I checked the part that advances under flywheel it is. I also did the timing light deal all coils stayed lit. I checked the spark again just to make sure so I checked it again it will jump a 7/16 with a nice snap and bright blue spark. So I went back out and had my wife drive while I started squeezing the ball and you could hear the motor pick up speed. I have the six carbs off the other engine I dont know if I should try those or rebuild the others. I also am thinking I am not getting enough fuel bad fuel pump maybe.

I could not do that yesterday. The water was busy yesterday and I was by myself. I am going down tomorrow to do this test. I will have help tomorrow. I will let you know. I am assuming that if the engine picks up on a certain carb that there is a problem with that carb.

Last edited:
Sorry I have not answered your question about spraying fuel into the carb. I was hospitalized for a couple days and I am just getting back to it. And of course the rain has started. I will try to do this test tomorrow.

The mechanic at the marina today went on a water test. He says I was right its not fuel related he is thinking that I have a stator problem. I have a parts engine so I came home and removed the timer base and the stator. Will let you know if that works.

I was able to go out and check the boat and the stator fixed the problem. Hit the throttle and she jumped right up on plane. Thank you all for the suggestions and help.

Back