Logo

Scraching my head no start.

Carpoor

Hello, I recently installed an electronic ignition on my 88 four wins omc 3.0 liter. I also installed a new coil as recommended. Engine started and run a little rough, I have also installed a new carb so I adjusted the idle and jets and had it running very smooth. I let run for about 15 minutes with elephant ears on, since it was lunch time I cut the engine off with the key. Came back 30 minutes later and it would not start, had no spark. Checked the coil and new electronic ignition and all tested good, battery with 12.86 volts. I checked the plus side of coil terminal with key on and got 8.51 volts and about 10.51 with engine cranking. Any ideas what happened while I was at lunch? I wrench a lot on cars but not that familiar with boats. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sounds like you have current flowing to the coil...so its the electronics or the secondary side...see if you get any spark out of the coil....

I just got a chance to check a few things out. I took my spark tester and plugged it directly into the coil and grounded it to the sparkplug. I get a light when I turn the key on. It doesn't stay on but comes on everytime I turn the key on. I am thinking the dist. cap has gone bad, it is old so it is possible. I am ordering a new one and will post the results when I get it installed. Thanks for the help.

Back