Logo

Mercruiser 4.3 v6 intermittent stalling

Gingie

Hi all.

We just bought a 1990 Regal Sebring with a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser engine. The owner took us out for about 2 hours and she ran just fine though the marina at 5 mph and out on the ocean at 25-30 mph and everywhere in between.

The day we took possession of her, she stalled in the ocean when going about 15 mph. We let her rest for about an hour and after about 10 attempts, we were able to get her started. Next time we went out, similar issue but couldn't get her started and had to get towed in. She has stalled going 5 mph through the marina, idling, going 15-20 mph and everywhere in between.

We have taken her out 5 times and she's stalled on 4 journeys, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes we can get her started, but doesn't last for long. We have gotten her towed in 4 times! We come back to our dry dock space the next day to flush out the engine and she has always started, so we are thinking it may be temperature related. The mechanic can't figure it out. He replaced the coil about a year ago. Charge output to the engine was fine. Practically the entire engine has been rebuilt and he has kept meticulous records.

We are *NOT* DIY mechanic types, but want to be able to provide enough info to the mechanic to diagnose the problem (and maybe get a new mechanic). Yesterday she stalled going about 15 mph. We sprayed the carb with starter fluid and she started but then stalled again idling about 3 minutes later. We couldn't get her started again after that, even with more starter fluid. We let her rest, tried again - no dice. Another hour - no dice. Tow boat #4. Went back to the dry dock to flush her out this morning and she started back up.

Does anyone have recommendations for some simple diagnostics that we can do on the water so we can better inform the mechanic. I repeat, we are not DIY mechanics, but are able to perform some simple diagnostics.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure no one will be surprised that we named her Hot Sauce!

Gingie

Nowhere did I see where anyone checked the fuel filter/separator for water.. if that is so... GET ANOTHER MECHANIC. It may not be the trouble HOWEVER it should have been checked.... That's as much a check on the ability of the mechanic as the health of the engine. Which ignition system does it have.... Thunderbolt??? or points?

Any idea how long the boat sat before you bought it?

2X on changing mechanics...

I'd say start it up at the dock and let it run for a while...when it cuts out, use a 'spark tester' and see if the ignition is still working...if it is, then its a fuel delivery issue...if it doesn't cut out, try rocking the boat...the idea is to stir up the fuel tank...

Nowhere did I see where anyone checked the fuel filter/separator for water.. if that is so... GET ANOTHER MECHANIC. It may not be the trouble HOWEVER it should have been checked.... That's as much a check on the ability of the mechanic as the health of the engine. Which ignition system does it have.... Thunderbolt??? or points?

Thank you! I will have the *new* mechanic check the filter. I think it's a Thunderbolt ignition.
G

Thank you! The mechanic let it idle at the dock for about 2 hours and it didn't cut out. Seems like we it only quits when we are in the marina or in the ocean. It runs great until it quits. It doesn't sputter or anything, it just dies. We will get a spark tester and give that a try.

Back