Logo

Crank mounted pump

jphillips13

Can anyone tell me if the Johnson F5B-9 has the hose barb built in like the F6B-9? Looks like it is threaded and will require an 1 1/4 NPT to hose barb fitting. I'm tight on space so any help would be appreciated. Application is Crusader 270 to replace old Sherwood E-35's.

That's the way they are advertised...I haven't touched a '5' in ages...

Best bet is to call your favorite retailer and ask...

You will find these in each style.

The plastic insert simply provides hose barbs.
They can be removed if you prefer.

302151.jpg

JOH10-24228-1.jpg

Thank you for fast response. I consider this an upgrade to the E35's as they are a pain to change impellers but Crusader's company folks said don't use them! I originally put the F6's on my engines, twin 270's with front mounted 1/2 system cooled and Barr center riser manifolds and at high RPM's the pressure blew the end caps off the one old heat exchange with rubber end caps destroying the last spare I had. The old end caps are NLA so I had to replace the old heat exchange with new. Fire engines up for another shake down cruise and a hose blew off outlet hose on the pump. After researching the gallon per RPM charts apparently the F6's pressurized system too much at high RPM's. I just finished the repower and working out issues and this hopefully is the last! If I had the money to put into this old boat I would have preferred to go full system with Crusader style manifolds but she will be fine replacing exhaust manifolds every four years. Building raw water cooled engines or even 1/2 cooled system is BS in a salt water environment. I don't know why boat builders do this other than being cheap.

Would the F5 be better than the F6 in terms of not over-pressuring the system?

Thank you for fast response. I consider this an upgrade to the E35's as they are a pain to change impellers but Crusader's company folks said don't use them! I originally put the F6's on my engines, twin 270's with front mounted 1/2 system cooled and Barr center riser manifolds and at high RPM's the pressure blew the end caps off the one old heat exchange with rubber end caps destroying the last spare I had. The old end caps are NLA so I had to replace the old heat exchange with new. Fire engines up for another shake down cruise and a hose blew off outlet hose on the pump. After researching the gallon per RPM charts apparently the F6's pressurized system too much at high RPM's. I just finished the repower and working out issues and this hopefully is the last! If I had the money to put into this old boat I would have preferred to go full system with Crusader style manifolds but she will be fine replacing exhaust manifolds every four years. Building raw water cooled engines or even 1/2 cooled system is BS in a salt water environment. I don't know why boat builders do this other than being cheap.

Would the F5 be better than the F6 in terms of not over-pressuring the system?

As you know, the F5B-9 is the small volume pump, and the F6B-9 is the large volume pump.
Each pump is RPM driven, meaning that the seawater volume is determined by engine speed, just as it should be.
Neither will over-pressurize the system.
However, the F6B-9 may supply more seawater volume than what's necessary.

While perhaps not easily measurable, excessive seawater (being introduced into the exhaust system) may hurt performance some.

As a list of general rules:

SB engines use the F5
BB engines use the F6

SB with 1/2 closed cooling systems use the F5
SB with full closed cooling systems use the F6
BB with either 1/2 or full closed cooling systems use the F6.

Back