Logo

Help start an 83 7.5 hp Evinrude

The question was ---Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" , yes or no ?-----Or are you not sure why it is important to do that test ?????

The question was ---Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" , yes or no ?-----Or are you not sure why it is important to do that test ?????

I am not sure of a lot of ways these things work.

Does the spark plug need to have part of the plug touch the motor to create the spark?

How do i test a 7/16" gap?

Why is a 7/16" gap important?

A weak ignition system will still show that the spark is working if you do the old "put the spark plug on the block" test. The 7/16" gap test shows that the ignition system is working as well as it's supposed to. There are ways of making a homemade spark gap tester with some nails on a block of wood, but I would sooner buy a $10-15 tester that you can screw to adjust for different gaps.

There are ways of making a homemade spark gap tester with some nails on a block of wood, but I would sooner buy a $10-15 tester that you can screw to adjust for different gaps.

I am all about DIY, but for $15, can you suggest a manufactured spark plug gap tester?

The big three items are compression, spark, and fuel. Have you tested compression yet? A quick test to see if your motor is having fuel delivery problems is spraying a gas/oil mix through the throat of the carburetor. Are your spark plugs wet after you try to start the motor?

Back