Logo

Help start an 83 7.5 hp Evinrude

Photobug

This engine supposedly ran when I bought it with a boat. I can't get it to start now though. I checked compression and put clean fuel into the tank. I can't get it to turn over. I took apart the plastic covering the choke but can't get to the carb to clean out the bowl and jet. I have cleaned out the interior of the black stuff which I think is oil and dirt. I plan on buying a spark checker tomorrow if the local auto parts store have it in stock.

Is there a way to get to the carb to clean it without removing the motor from the lower unit?
20200818_141100.jpg

If you have a manual fir that it should explain how or maybe theres a you tube video of that or a similar outboard that could be of some help. This website marine engine dot com, probably has tge diagram of your outboard and of course the proper carb kit.

Remove 2 screws on top of starter.------Carefully lean starter to the side.------Remove throttle follower.-------Remove 2 nuts and carburetor is off.

Think he means bolting the starter. Just make sure that vertical rope guide rod is in its holes, top and bottom.

Just to make sure the starter is the black coil thing with the rope? Once the carb is out how do I find a rebuild kit for it?

Attachments

• 20200810_154355 (1).jpg
    20200810_154355 (1).jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 57
Yes remove the 2 long screws holding tge starter in and pull tge starter up a just enough so you can tip it out of the way, then remove that black plastic thing (air silencer?) Then disconnect the choke then remove the fuel line tgen remove the two difficulty reach nuts holding the card on tge engine and wallah. Take pics of each step and put bolts etc back were tgey came out of so you don't lose them, just go for it and refer to your pics if needed when you put it all back together, have fun!

I do not believe there are any " long screws " on this starter !!

All the screws were about the same but there are top screws and bottom screws on the starter. Guess which ones I started with, yep the bottom (wrong) ones.

I got the carb out it all looked very clean. I have sprayed everything with carb cleaner, i have removed the screw under the needled and sprayed it out, I can not remove the jet, Should i try to remove the jet to clean it or just spray it and put it back together.20200821_172350.jpg

In the process the fuel in the carb which might have been the old fuel in the line is now cleared out so the new fuel might give me a better chance to start it. I have new spark plugs.

What else should I do while i have the carb out besides try to get to and clean the jet?

The boat and engine came from a lake at 1000 feet I am at 6000 feet and the motor will be used anywhere from sea level to up to 7700 feet. Should I mess with the lean screw in an effort to try to start this motor? The lean screw has a star like end to it but nothing attached to it. Is there a piece missing, can I just used padded vice grips to try to turn this screw?

Normally there's a little plastic knob on the end of the screw. I would think you should be able to turn it with just your fingers, but maybe someone was overzealous tightening it in. Be gentle with the vice grips if you need them at all.

Changing the jet is something you can do yourself.

Are there different jets for different altitudes for each carburetor? I can see myself sailing anywhere from sea level to 7700 ft.

Where can I find and purchase the appropriate jets? Confirm this is the big jet I unscrew with a screwdriver to get to the thinner jet with small holes under it that needs replaced based on altitude?

The high speed metering jet is item #24 on the carburetor parts list.-----Your local dealer will help you.------I am at 600' elevation on my lake.

I have modified these to make high speed adjustable. You might consider doing this. Let me know. You have very uncommon operating parameters.

The high speed metering jet is item #24 on the carburetor parts list.-----Your local dealer will help you.------I am at 600' elevation on my lake.

My home is at 6000 feet my smaller boat is at 6700 feet. A nearby lake is at 7700 feet. I also may visit the ocean. My local dealer is a guy that works on anything motored, outboards to motorcycles and ATVs. He had nothing for me on hand, outboards are not his main focus.

I have modified these to make high speed adjustable. You might consider doing this. Let me know. You have very uncommon operating parameters.

I would be interested in how you suggest altering this motor for high altitude use. I have called the company that supports this forum and they me with a chart that suggested I need the following sized jets for altitudes 3000-6000ft= 32n, 6-10,000ft = 29n. If I can find these jets I would be willing to put buy one of each and alter the jets as needed if I travel outside my home lake.

Seems to me you should get yourself squared away with the high altitude jet if that's where you're going to be most of the time.

I use a long tapered needle and drill the jet out to accommodate the needle. Tap the plug opening in float bowl. Install needle, nut, packing. Got a box full of needles from 55 years of outboard and small engine repair. Just did a 14.5 hp Techumseh on a brush hog. Really dislike these idiot proof carbs. Also doesn't hurt to have an aluminum and stainless MIG welder. Shoulda been an engineer but likely woulda got fired first day on the job.

Last edited:
I use a long tapered needle and drill the jet out to accommodate the needle. Tap the plug opening in float bowl. Install needle, nut, packing. Got a box full of needles from 55 years of outboard and small engine repair. Just did a 14.5 hp Techumseh on a brush hog. Really dislike these idiot proof carbs. Also doesn't hurt to have an aluminum and stainless MIG welder. Shoulda been an engineer but likely woulda got fired first day on the job.

Your description of the work sounds above my security clearance. Even though I own a welder I don't know how to use it. I have been happy so far just getting the carb out and cleaned. I have a high altitude jet on the way. Lets see how that works.

Yes I agree. But if your traveling around in such a variety of altitudes and using the motor....these fixed jets are pretty stupid. Could get yourself a "Fleetwin" and solve these altitude problems. These are fantastic motors, about the same weight, and have full high and low speed jet adjustments. In the days of these motors, operator/owners were responsible enough to adjust the carburator to meet conditions.....in fact most of them could even back up a car without using a camera above the license plate.

I have cleaned the carb, upgraded the primary jet for one rated above 6000 feet changed the spark plugs and swapped out a degraded fuel hose. Put it all back together and get nothing on an attempt to start up.

I have an external spark tester and can't see any spark from it but don't know the tester actually works. Is there anything I can do to try to solve this no start situation?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-spark-tester-19380/10550781-P?searchTerm=spark tester

I'm not familiar with that type of spark tester, but what you need is a spark gap tester. You can show spark all day with those inline testers, but if it can't jump the gap it's not strong enough. Should be able to jump a 7/16" gap, light blue lightning.

I'm not familiar with that type of spark tester, but what you need is a spark gap tester. You can show spark all day with those inline testers, but if it can't jump the gap it's not strong enough. Should be able to jump a 7/16" gap, light blue lightning.

I removed the spark plugs and tested it up against the engine block. My wife saw a good spark while i pulled the starter cord.

So it is not spark, How do I go about testing if it is fuel. I see fuel up in the hose when pumping the bulb. The hose is a yellow clear hose designed for fuel.

Back