Logo

2002 6.2 mercruiser mx mpi

Whatahead

When I first unload boat it starts and idles fine, but for the first 15 minutes or so it runs really rough, rpms bouncing all over the place. Will barely get on plane. Then after that it runs perfect. It only seems to do that when its cold or has set for more than 4 or so hours. It has a freshly rebuilt motor with 13 hrs on it. Seems to be progressively getting worse. Its bot beeping. New plugs and wires. Please help. Thanks

...... so you're running the boat while the engine is "cold" ??? FWIW, I never shift into gear ( or untie my last two dock lines) until my engine is completely warmed up...

no, it runs rough after its warm for about the first 15 minutes or so then clears up. it just started doing this the last 3-4 hrs of run time.

How old is the disti cap/rotor ? I never get a third trouble free season out of one in a sea water (air) situation.

My 2002 5.0 MPI did this. Turned out it was a very inexpensive piece of "foam" in the throttle body called an IAC muffler. Hope that's your issue.

i am not sure on that. i changed plugs and wires when we rebuilt motor. it has only been in freshwater.

You should get better life in fresh water ( no salt mist in air) enviro, but platinum plugs and OEM (or better) wires will outlast a handfull of Thunderbolt Distis....

Back