Logo

2002/03 Yamaha 90hp TLRB overheat issue

RampageH2o

I am trying to help a guy that just bought my boat to figure out a problem with engine not pumping water and overheating. The engine is a 2002/03 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke that I've owed for the past 11 years without issue. I've changed the water pump every couple of years even though I've only been putting less than 20 hours/year on it the past 4-5 years. The last time I had it out was back in February and it ran fine. Even though I haven't used the boat much recently, I've always run the engine with muffs on it at least once a month while it sits on the trailer in my driveway, and did so just before selling to the new owner who was there this past Thursday. I just got off the phone with the guy and he tells me the overheat buzzer went off after running for just about 5 minutes and the auto RPM idle-down kicked in. He ended up changing out the impeller, but noted the old one looked almost new. However after changing out the impeller, the engine is still not pumping water. When he hooks up the hose directly to the flush out/hose connection, water does come out the pee hole. But when the hose is connected to muffs over the water intake and the engine is fired up, no water is pumping through. To me it sounds like something in the water intake area has gotten clogged and blocking the water flow, but I am not sure. Can anyone advise how best to diagnose and fix this problem? Again, just trying to help out the guy that recently bought my boat as this issue never happened to me in the past and I know how frustrated he probably is. Thanks!

Back