Logo

Help with part identification/ oil sensor? 1989 454xl

I'm having a problem with no 12v to electric fuel pump. I replaced the oil sensor switch but have a question about these pictured. Any help???

Attachments

• boat sensor.jpg
    boat sensor.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 31
making a guess about what you are asking, here goes:

the one in-line with the fitting exiting the block is the SWITCH for the warning system; the unit aligned on the perpendicular is the oil pressure gauge sending unit...and they come in two versions. Neither has anything to do with the fuel pump, in the factory wiring configuration)...

The larger sensor is your oil pressure sender for the gauge(s). There are different senders depending on whether you have single or dual control stations. For a 454XL, a parts list I have shows these two possibilities for a single station sender: 700425 and 22702. For dual station: 700403 and 22704.

The smaller sensor is an oil pressure switch for your oil pressure alarm. Crusader part number 97767.

====

Also, the parts list I have also shows two different possibilities for the 454XL "Oil Pressure Switch (Fuel Pump)". If your engine serial number is 89381 or less, its part number is 98176. For engine serial number 89382 and above, it's 98220.

I'm having a problem with no 12v to electric fuel pump. I replaced the oil sensor switch but have a question about these pictured. Any help???

I agree..... what you show in your post #1 is the oil pressure gauge sending unit, and an alarm or warning light switch.

Your 1989 Crusader 454xl is most likely carbureted..... yes/no?

There should be a N/O Low Oil Pressure switch somewhere on your engine.
It's primary function is remain "open" in the absence of oil pressure, and to prevent power from reaching the fuel pump.
(USCG regulation)

This switch will "close" once oil pressure reaches X value.
Once closed, it will send power to the fuel pump or to the fuel pump's relay.

During start up (prior to oil pressure) there's a need for a "start-by-pass" circuit that will momentarily operate the pump until oil pressures reaches X value.

Do you have a N/O low oil pressure switch and a start-by-pass circuit?????

I have a stewart warner 76579 4 D 4psi switch. It has N/O, N/C and C on the posts. No idea about "start bypass"... and it is carb.

Last edited:
Back