Logo

1989 omc cobra

Thecrazieone

Hi everyone I have a 1989 Sierra with omc cobra 4.3 in it I am having problems to get it started with the key ignition. I have replaced the starter/starter solenoid/ ignition coil with what was recommended at my marina with the flamethrower coil for performance. Now with all of that done I can run a jumper on the solenoid and it fires right up no problem and runs good. I can then go turn the key to the off position and it kills the motor but when I go and try to start it with the key nothing happens can anyone help or am I over my head with a wiring problem.

Thanks for your time and hope I can get this figured out

Ayuh,...... When ya turn the key to start, is there power at the start terminal on the key switch,..??

Is there power at both sides of the neutral safety switch,..??

Is the power passin' through the big cannon plug that connects the motor, to the boat,..??

I will check all in the morning I do believe I have checked the s terminal and had 9v-12v but not sure will recheck to confirm but the cannon plug what wires should be tested assuming red I have no idea about electrical so I will be in constant contact on here to get it resolved I hope I do not bother anyone doing so

Ayuh,...... I believe you'll find the start circuit is the yellow/ red stripe wires, from the key switch, through the neutral safety switch, through the cannon plug, to the excite terminal of the slave solenoid, on to the excite terminal on the starter's solenoid,.....

I have 6-7 at the key and when I turn it to start I have same v on the yellow/red to the safety switch and power at the cannon (battery was dead) but after charge all check out.I have traced wires using the Manuel and just can not figure it out all wires seem to be in their places but I have nothing on the ignition coil with is brand new have trace those wires and all look to be good my buddy said that I can not have the flamethrower coil unless I have the upgraded points in the distributor

Ok so I have checked all those now that batt is at full charge and got power to all I talked with my local marina and they said it might be the circuit breaker on the trim but why would that have anything to do with the ignition of the boat or does it I am not at all a mechanic but am able to comprehend the stuff that is explained to me so in your guy’s opinion could this be my problem

Back