Logo

No Beep or Priming When Turning Key - 5.0L Gi

Bkforce9

Hello everyone,

I have recently finished installing 2 new longblocks in my 2000 Chap Sig 290. These are Volvo Penta 5.0GiPEFS (throttle body injection), serial # 4012003285. I was starting them for the 1st time to set the timing. The starboard motor beeped as normal, primed and started easily after getting the dist cap just right. I ran it for about 15 seconds on the muffs and shut it down because I wasn't seeing water come back out the drive yet, and was paranoid of burning up the impeller if it was running dry. They have heat exchangers installed. I have since been told it probably takes a little longer (30-45s or so?) to see water come back out while running on the muffs. It ran smooth for those 15 secs.

When I came back to try again yesterday to set the timing, the motor beeped and primed once, although it sounded like the fuel pump whined for a very brief couple seconds (or just sounded a little more strained perhaps), and the motor started immediately but only ran rough for about 1-2 seconds and died. The motor no longer beeps or primes when turning the key, and the dash doesn't light up either. The dash does light up when turning the other (port) motor key. No sound from the fuel pump that I can tell from the helm. It will still make a soft clicking sound when turning the key, and will crank and crank and crank as normal but will not start. The batteries are relatively new with good charge. I have checked under the dash behind the key and checked the spade connectors and wires, also checked for in-line fuses but don't see any. The kill switch is nestled under its overhang in the upward position (I think this is "RUN"). On the motor - the breaker is not flipped, all 3 fuses in the box are intact. The relay in the fuse box seems normal (no rust/corrosion) but not sure what else to look for there. At the key there is power to the red/purple full time, and power to purple only when key is on as expected. While key is on there is .08 volts at the pink wire exiting the coil, 0.0 volts when the key is off. The port side motor has 12 volts at the pink wire exiting the coil when the key is on for contrast.

Any ideas on what I'm missing? I'm doubting I have ignition because suddenly the alarm is not sounding on key turn at the exact moment this all happened, and there is .08 volts at the pink wire exiting the coil. The lack of dash light up makes me think it's not the coil though and something else not on the engine. Wiring diagram is attached. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-08-05 12-44-09-590.png
    bandicam 2020-08-05 12-44-09-590.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 19
Get a multimeter, set to scale for DC volts...
Starting @ the battery, measure volts ( ign and Batt switch on).... see at least 12.6 V
Move negative lead of meter to engine block... see same volts
Move positive lead of meter to post on engine where battery cable attaches...see same V
Move positive lead of meter to breaker on engine. see same V
Per your wiring diagram, WITHOUT moving the negative lead of the meter from the block, see where you loose the V.
Note: you will have to extend the plus lead on the meter for this...
Where you loose the V is just past your problem...

Back