Logo

VRO Pump

Jerry T

I have a 1998 175 hp Evinrude with VRO....I was having so much problems with blue smoke, I converted the engine to mix my own. After reading a forum here regarding the common issues of the VRO system I have decided to replace the system back to as built...Heres my question...I have right now about 25 gallons plus of mixed gas and oil. Could I install the new VRO pump and just not put oil in the tank and run the mix out or would it be better if I added some mix to the oil tank or do the dreaded syphon all the mix? BTW I have replaced all the hoses and the check valve I believe to be the problem :confused:

Often times the cap on the oil tank is the problem. Why? I have found it doesn't vent properly and can build excessive pressure, causing oil to be pushed through even when the motor is not running. I solve this issue by dismantling the cap and removing the tiny inadequate breathing valve. You can then put the cap back together and the hole is shielded so water can't get in unless the water level should ever flood over the top of the cap.
I would not recommend running your new VRO without oil.

I have a 1998 175 hp Evinrude with VRO....I was having so much problems with blue smoke, I converted the engine to mix my own. After reading a forum here regarding the common issues of the VRO system I have decided to replace the system back to as built...Heres my question...I have right now about 25 gallons plus of mixed gas and oil. Could I install the new VRO pump and just not put oil in the tank and run the mix out or would it be better if I added some mix to the oil tank or do the dreaded syphon all the mix? BTW I have replaced all the hoses and the check valve I believe to be the problem :confused:

When you install a new VRO pump you mix the fuel tank until you know the new VRO is functioning correctly. So, add oil to your oil tank, mark the level, run the boat with the pre mix and make sure the oil tank level is decreasing. XD50 oil only.

First, I want to thank the folks on this forum for your insight! Dockside marine services.... I understand what your saying about running the premix until I'm sure it is pulling the oil into the gas. At that point I am to remove all the rest of the mix in the gas tank and replace with pure gas? As I have just rebuilt the carbs and replaced the hoses etc. would running the mix just about empty before installing the VRO pump be OK?

TinGUy I never thought of that issue and it wasnt on the previous read about VRO and problems that occur ...I am surely going to check that:rolleyes:

Fact------You will never damage a 2 stroke with too much oil.-----If you have determined that the VRO pump is working properly just stop adding oil to the fuel tank.----No need to drain the mixed fuel !!----And as I have said many times the whole concept of oil mixed with gas and lubrication in a 2 stroke is not well understood !!

I recently purchased a 1985 Monark fiberglass boat with a Evinrude V-6 / VRO 150hp Outboard ! / I was told by several so-called boat mechanics that I could disconnect the Oil Pump feeding the engine and do a direct mix of 50:1 Gas Oil mix and bypass the Oil Pump completely. As of today, I have disconnected the Oil Tank and electrical wiring and plugged the oil feed tube and plugged the oil feed tube with a bolt screwed into the tube and followed up with a small hose clamp./ I also clipped the wires going from the engine to the pump after marking them and left the two wires "Not" connected or looped back to the engine. / I then filled the tank with ethanol gas mixed with 2-stroke TX-3 oil for a 50:1 ratio./ I can't get the engine to start but it will attempt to crank ? / Suggestions ? / The fuel line goes from the 30 gal. inboard tank to the pump and then to the engine at this time ? - Will this work or do I have to completely bypass the VRO Pump and run the fuel line directly to the carburator ? / Thanks.

Last edited:
Why do you use the term ---" so called boat mechanics "----And why do you question the advice given by them.----So is this your first boat.----Outline your starting procedure on this fine motor .----There are procedures to start a motor.----Not the same as pushing a button in a modern vehicle.

I have a 1998 175 evinrude and I bought a seperate pump to replace the VRO pump and it worked very well for over 5 yrs mixing 50 1....After reading an article on marine engine .com Myths about VRO I decided to buy a new pump and I now am back to VRO they have made some improvements in the new versions ...they also make A REBUILD FOR THE DIAPHRAMS

I recently purchased a 1985 Monark fiberglass boat with a Evinrude V-6 / VRO 150hp Outboard ! / I was told by several so-called boat mechanics that I could disconnect the Oil Pump feeding the engine and do a direct mix of 50:1 Gas Oil mix and bypass the Oil Pump completely. As of today, I have disconnected the Oil Tank and electrical wiring and plugged the oil feed tube and plugged the oil feed tube with a bolt screwed into the tube and followed up with a small hose clamp./ I also clipped the wires going from the engine to the pump after marking them and left the two wires "Not" connected or looped back to the engine. / I then filled the tank with ethanol gas mixed with 2-stroke TX-3 oil for a 50:1 ratio./ I can't get the engine to start but it will attempt to crank ? / Suggestions ? / The fuel line goes from the 30 gal. inboard tank to the pump and then to the engine at this time ? - Will this work or do I have to completely bypass the VRO Pump and run the fuel line directly to the carburator ? / Thanks.

I might also add my 2 cents........never, ever use ethanol in your seasonal equipment. Over half of my repairs are ethanol related. VRO's are commonly destroyed by using ethanol. New designs of VRO's are ethanol resistant.

Agree with Chris. VRO's, when properly, maintained and operated, are very superior to premixing. Why? They give your motor more oil when is working hard and needs more lubrication, and less oil when trolling and at low speeds. This minimizes carbon buildup while maximizing motor life.

Back