Logo

DYING 1954 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 CD11 outboard

Wouldn't that spring/shock system cause motor to freeze up? I have one here that did just that, but later it will turn again. Please explain.....I'm all ears.

How old is the fuel hose? Did you use fresh gas that has ethanol in it? Seems like fuel starvation from low flow. The 2-line hose might look OK on the outside but I bet you a dollar that the ethanol has eaten up the inside and clogged it with little bits of goo.
Your choice is to buy new alcohol resistant dual line hose or use the gold color PVC fuel hose and zip tie two lengths together.

Oh and sometimes you have to resize pics to 800 x 600 in order to post them here.

Lots of flow through the lines.
I put new fuel lines on tank a few years ago.

I am sure you are right that it is a flow problem, but I think it must be in the carb. somewhere.

Thanks for the tip on the pic size.

I thought that this shock absorber was a well known concept.-----It sits below the water pump.----When the spring breaks the thing get longer and binds up.----Tell tale sign visible on top of the shock absorber and bottom of that bearing housing below the pump !!

EXCELLENT. So once this happens, your "dead in the water". Or can you restart if you backwards turn the motor?

I'm not sure what I'll find.
I am going to pull the the bowl filter, and try that.
If no good I will pull the carb again.

Not sure when I'll be able to get at it though. Many other things to do.

It's gotta be a simple fuel issue. Carb is not getting reliable fuel from the tank.....or there is a restriction for fuel to enter the carb, or main jet. Here is a quote from an earlier thread.
"I can't keep it going by pushing the button on the tank, but I can by spraying fuel into the carb.
I kept it running for more then two and a half minutes."

UPDATE!
I know this is long winded, but please be patient.

I took all the fuel out of the tank, and dried it out the best I could with old rags. Then I put in fresh fuel(Again) with a generous amount of "Seafoam". I took off the fuel lines, and blew carb cleaner through them with the air hose.
I removed the carb. to make sure of it one more time.
I removed the filter, and put it in carb cleaner. Put carb cleaner and them seafoam in fuel lines, and blew them completely through the fitting. every thing was nice and clear. Reinstalled carb (without the filter). I filled a garbage can with water to use as a test tank. When I pumped up the tank, I could see really clean fuel in the bowl. It started well, and ran well. I could put it in gear, and could get a bit of speed.

Every thing was working well, so this morning I decided to put it in the water for one more try. Everything worked great. Forward, and reverse, and up to speed. I ran it for about a half hour at various speeds. Until I ran out of fuel. I didn't want to make up too much this late in the season.
I think I have got it cured.
I am having trouble finding a filter and gasket for the sediment bowl, so if anyone can direct me, I'd appreciate it. I am going to let the old one soak, and hope for the best.
Has anyone ever used an in-line filter on one of these old motors, instead of the bowl one?
Just a thought.
I want to thank you guys for all the help, and suggestions through all of this. It was very helpful, and encouraging.

P.S. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be that "shock absorber" thing.

Great job. Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682 2331, for the filter. Have model # ready. Yes I often install an in line filter..... small 1/4" at top of fuel tank. It's good insurance. Keep fuel non oxy and clean.....then you are going to have years of trouble free service.

Back