Logo

5.7L OMC starting issue 1988 Doral Citation

amann

Hi all!

I need some help diagnosing and repairing my boat which I purchased a week ago. When I bought the boat it was in the water and started no problem. I had to trailer it home which is about a two hour drive. The next day I went to start it in my driveway (with the muffs on) and got nothing but clicks (solenoid I'm assuming). I figured the batteries needed to be replaced as they were old and the owner I bought it from confirmed this. I replaced the batteries with two new ones, cleaned all the terminals and fastened it down. Tried to start it and got clicks and sometimes it would try to turn over VERY slowly and and would only turn 1/4 revolution before quiting. I just replaced the starter now and the same issue. The wires get very, very hot and I'm at my wits end at this point. The plugs, wires and distributor cap were replaced last year and a tune up was done. Again, the boat started when I saw it so I know the timing is fine. I've tested the power to the starter (when not under a load) and everything checks out to be 12.7 volts so I would assume the wires and grounds are ok. The only thing I haven't done is checking the voltage when trying to start and/or pulling the spark plugs and trying to turn it over with no compression.

Any help is HUGELY appreciated!

remove the spark plugs, I`m sure you will find the water is preventing the turning of the motor

Thank you. I will try that as soon as I get home. But i'm a bit confused. How would water find its way into the combustion chambers? And if this is the case, what do i need to do in order to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks again!

remove the spark plugs, I`m sure you will find the water is preventing the turning of the motor

Ok. So I took the spark plugs out and there was water in the cylinders. But how did it get there? It was running fine in the water. The only thing I can think of is the garden hose and muffs forced water up and into a leak somewhere?

Naw,..... More likely the transom went really low while loadin' onto the trailer,.......

With muffs, 'n a hose, you can turn the water on high, 'n walk away, without damage,.....

Naw,..... More likely the transom went really low while loadin' onto the trailer,.......

With muffs, 'n a hose, you can turn the water on high, 'n walk away, without damage,.....

Well, as I said, there was water in ONE of the cylinders, but there is also water in the oil....Hopefully not a cracked block. I'm leaning towards a blown head gasket as there was water in only one of the cylinders... What do you guys think? More likely a blown gasket or....RIP block.

What do you guys think? More likely a blown gasket or....RIP block.

I purchased a week ago. When I bought the boat it was in the water and started no problem. I had to trailer it home which is about a two hour drive. The next day I went to start it in my driveway (with the muffs on) and got nothing but clicks (solenoid I'm assuming).

Ayuh,..... It's probably neither,.......

In the time frame we're talkin' 'bout,.... The water may well have seeped past the rings into the oil,.....

I'd drain the water, 'n pressurize the blocks water passages, 'n Listen,.....

If the block is cracked, or the head gasket is blown,........

You'll hear the leak, through whichever appropriate passage way,.... plug hole, oil fill, whatever,....

Back