Logo

1995 Mariner Marathon 30HP Manual - Stator replacement - Lower high speed - Fuel on exhaust

zorman

I have a Mercury Mariner 30HP Manual start from 1995 +/- with serial number 0G267706. It died the last time I went fishing. Did some diagnostics and concluded it was the stator; the reading of the white/green + green/white wires were off. When I look at the Mercury Parts catalog it shows the stator as part number 398-832074A5 which is no longer available; it also shows the replacement part as 398-832074A11. However, my original stator is stamped 398-9873A13. Anyway, I purchased the 398-832074A11 but it's not working well; sounds different, top speed is way below what I had before and I see fuel in the exhaust trail when I run the engine through fresh water. I think I burned by original stator because the thermostat went bad and the engine overheated and must have destroyed the stator.

Can anyone confirm that the 398-832074A11 is the right replacement for the original stator? How can I solve the top speed and fuel in the exhaust problem?

Thanks!

If you cooked it enough to wreck the stator, the compression is probably way down as well. Do a compression test before trying anything else.

Jeff

Back