Logo

1978 25hp not shifting into reverse

LA outdoorsman

I have a 1978 25hp evinrude that runs fine but recently it has been having trouble shifting into reverse. Forward and neutral shift fine. When I shift into reverse it sounds and feels like it engages, but the prop spins only at idle speed. I dropped the lower unit and the gears are all still intact. No grinding or clunking sounds just feels like it has no power in reverse. Please help.

The shift interlock prevents full throttle in reverse.
I know I don’t have full power reverse but it’s a lot less powered than it was a couple of weeks ago. It’s like 1 minute it was working fine and the next it felt like my trolling motor could back me up faster than it was allowing me to go. Happened while out on the water.

I have seen where these safety interlock systems on these motors will mess up. Sounds to me like when you're shifting to reverse the Interlock system is not clearing out of neutral which gives you basically no throttle at all. Take a close look at how the system operates on the starboard side of the motor and you may see something going on as I mentioned.

Back