Logo

Lower unit question

txbasshound

lower unit.jpeg1998 Mariner Magnum EFI. After a trip to Fork, when we trimmed up the motor, there was a small amount of oil weeping from the hole circled in red. Is that normal? I never noticed it before but then again I never really looked that hard at the holes. Mostly just looked for obvious issues. Is this something I should worry about or get checked by a shop?

That collects about everything, including oil in fuel mixture. If it appears like gear oil, then check lower unit for water and if some is evident, might want to drain and pressure test. Make sure while pressure testing that motor in spun over, prop is spun and try shifting too. These movements don't have to be done simultaneously, but will exercise seals that could be cause of leakage. Sometimes a leak can be isolated this way as well.

That collects about everything, including oil in fuel mixture. If it appears like gear oil, then check lower unit for water and if some is evident, might want to drain and pressure test. Make sure while pressure testing that motor in spun over, prop is spun and try shifting too. These movements don't have to be done simultaneously, but will exercise seals that could be cause of leakage. Sometimes a leak can be isolated this way as well.

I appreciate the reply sir. the lower unit hit a stump, a big one, in the boat lane at Fork and took a pretty good shot but wasn't sure if this was related or something I never noticed before.

Could have bent the prop shaft, but that leak, of course, would not be showing up at that drain hole.......so it might not have anything to do with what your seeing. Perhaps it's deposits from inside exhaust housing loosened from fuel/oil while transporting. Do you remove fuel line while transporting? Everyone should....also put motor in gear, of course.

Last edited:
Back