Logo

OMC compatibility

Alipsco1

Hey folks, 1989 Harris Float Bote, OMC 3.0L 302AMRMED serial T1116555, OMC Cobra 985683 serial T0661439. Major failure in top end of outdrive and looking at used one's. I cannot find using the outdrive model or serial any information, and looking to see what is compatible, this is the 3 3/4 inch hub, from what I can find ratio is 21:21. How can I tell with just the outdrive model numbers what would be a replacement model number?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Consider ridding yourself of the OMC issues by purchasing a kit that allows for the adaptation of the Volvo Penta SX drive to the OMC Cobra transom unit.
You should be able to easily find a good used 4 cylinder SX drive.

You'll end up with:
Smooth cone clutch gear engagement (no more Dog Clutch).
No more ESA.
A drive will outlast the boat.
Better re-sale value.

Hey folks, 1989 Harris Float Bote, OMC 3.0L 302AMRMED serial T1116555, OMC Cobra 985683 serial T0661439. Major failure in top end of outdrive and looking at used one's. I cannot find using the outdrive model or serial any information, and looking to see what is compatible, this is the 3 3/4 inch hub, from what I can find ratio is 21:21. How can I tell with just the outdrive model numbers what would be a replacement model number?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

I have never seen a good cross reference of any of the tag numbers on OMC drives to anything like gearing or applications , however, there is a handy chart in the Seloc manual that shows all the drive ratio upper and lower used -sorted by engine/year etc.

A lot of googling, and teeth counting sometimes involved.

p.s. SEI makes a conversion kit to install a Mercruiser Aplpha style outdrive on your existing Cobra bellhousing - just an option- fairly plug and play.

Back