Logo

Where is the rectifier/regulator - Evinrude V4 115

rebelgent

Hello you all, I am a newbie here and i am wondering if you can help me to fix my issue. I have Evinrude V4 115 Hp on my boat and i am having battery charging issue. I read 12.4V at all speeds on the battery. According what i have known, charging should be about 13-13.5V Something is wrong and i have a feeling that it would be the regulator/rectifier. But i can't find where the rectifier/regulator is? do i look on a wrong place? i don't know Could you please help me to find? so i can make a test and proceed for it replacement here is a photo evinrude_1.jpg Thanks

Been down that road before with my Johnson 90 hp V4.
In the very first pic you posted, there is a terminal strip with a bunch of screws and wires attached.
Follow the yellow/red/grey wires that go off to the right and into a cable sheath.
Follow that cable and it will lead you right to the regulator/rectifier assembly.
As Racerone said, it is right on top of the engine block at the back, just under the flywheel.
Flywheel and stator need to be removed to get at it.
Not too terrible of a job to do - just takes a bit of time because you have to be careful with things.

Thanks for the explanation.
I don't see it as it is located under the flywheel. ok.

I have watched some videos about how to remove the flywheel.
i understand that i have to buy a specific puller to this stuff.
Do you have any advice?

If you look at the second picture in post #3, you can see that cable I was talking about just behind the flywheel. It pretty much ends near where the cable clamp is. That rectangular shaped block that is bolted down with a few bolts.
On my Johnson 90, I used a regular steering wheel puller to pull the flywheel - and it worked ok, but I had to find the appropriate bolts that would thread into the flywheel properly. Failure to check the threaded holes in the flywheel to ensure that they are free of any debris will pretty much ensure that the threads will get pulled out - and then you'll be in trouble. So make sure those holes are clean, the threads are undamaged, and that the bolts you use to attach the puller can thread into the holes all the way until they bottom out. If the bolts don't thread in correctly, you are setting yourself up for failure. I can't say it enough. If those holes strip, you are going to be in a really bad situation. Anyway, once I found correct bolts and ensured that they threaded in correctly, I mounted the puller, and tightened it up until it had a good bit of tension on it. Then, with my left hand, I got a firm hold of the puller - pulling upward on it so as to take strain off the crank, and then gave the top of the puller a sharp rap with a 4 pound hammer. The flywheel popped right off. If your flywheel won't pop off, spray a bit of penetrant where the flywheel nut goes, tighten up the puller a bit more - and then try again. Like I said, you have to be careful. I've had a few doozies before. You don't want to be beating the hell of the crank and mushrooming the threads. You just have to go slowly and carefully until the flywheel is off. After that, the rest is gravy...lol :D

Put pressure on flywheel with puller and then rap on top outer edge of flywheel with a RUBBER hammer all around perimeter of flywheel til it pops

Back