Logo

1987 50 hp force no spark

jimlarkin

Looking for help on 1987 force 50 hp 2 stroke Prestolite ignition system with no spark. I have replaced stator, trigger, disconnected kill wires, as well as rectifier, measured voltage output on stator is 340 volts DVA, trigger outputs are 1.5 volts with DVA. double checked all wire and connectors and all is good.......I am stumped. Also replaced on of the coil packs with a brand new one, just to verify it wasn't them....no luck.
My Clymer manual says to measure Stator with wires disconnected and it shows 340 volts with DVA. I've read elsewhere that these should be measure with wires connected.....when doing so I ge no readings with DVA so that puzzles me......any thoughts?

outboardignitiondotcom or CDI Ignition both have test procedures.
I like the first one best.

Even a new or a stator that tests good can be bad.

Thanks Jerry........I had been thinking about putting the old stator back in just for grins to see what happens. It actually tested just a bit weaker at 260 DVA, but it was running at one time with that stator. I'll try it and see what happens.

Well i reinstalled the old stator and still have no spark. I do have 240 volts with DVA meter with the wires connected , but still getting no fire. rechecked the trigger, and saw 1.2 volts with DVA meter.

I am baffled at what is preventing fire from the coil ....almost like the coil packs are grounding out and not firing. Also tried the brand new coil pack i bought and still nothing.

do you need to have a key inserted and turned in order to have spark on an old 65 evinrude ? tried to jumper starter relay and starter motor and it turned over but no spark and waiting for key to come in mail

do you need to have a key inserted and turned in order to have spark on an old 65 evinrude ? tried to jumper starter relay and starter motor and it turned over but no spark and waiting for key to come in mail

You should post this in the OMC section.
And yes you'll need the key.

Just an update and a success story. I finally got spark from my coils again. Even though I was getting 250 volts DVA on my meter, I went ahead and replaced both connectors on the output of the stator. Once I did that I started getting spark again. I would say anyone working on a vintage 70's or 80's outboard ignition would be money ahead just to cut all your wire terminal connectors and solder (don't settle for crimped) new connectors in place. That will eliminate a lot of heartache, frustration and extra money spent.....take it from someone who learned the hard way. Good luck!

Back