Logo

New to 4-strokes - broken F70 "Bracket"

JerEazy

Contributing Member
Afternoon

Finally decided to move to a 4-stroke to make my slow river trips quieter and hopefully more enjoyable. came across an older scout with a 2015 F70 repower. She ran good on the water with only a noticable "Clunk" on the shifting i attributed to actually being able to hear it and not having a cushion lock or SDS hub. Also, had a 28 code for Shift Switch - so i'm sure that didn't help the sound. Checked the forums and parts diagrams, figured i could handle it when i did the 100hr service as soon as parts arrived. I guess one thing true with 2 and 4 strokes is they are all going to have problems.

Well, i took off the bracket the shift switch is attached too because i couldn't see a way to get a philips head upside down and in there. And when i did remove those 2 10mms a part listed as "bracket" in the control section was discovered to be broken. I have a new one on order, but that seems extremely odd to break.

I was able to retrieve and salvage the "bushing" and the "ball" portion and ordered a new compression spring along with the bracket. But besides just a freak situation, should i be looking into anything else? I guess i could see if it was left tilted up and unused for a while water pooling in that area causing corrosion.

Also, what does this part actually do? is it a detent system to keep the LU in gear?

https://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/12913.htm?year=31&model=1716&part-category=32

Broken part is #10 and components in the "Control" section. #10, and 12 on order from local dealer.

thanks in advance

(P.S. getting that cotter pin out is proving difficult.)

After the hellacious journey that was removing that cotter pin, I found out why. The broken part of the bracket is stuck on the shift shaft.

Any insight here? Or do I need to keep working it with a big flat blade until it comes loose?

Back