Logo

QD Evinrude-Need help with Throttle linkage or timing plate alignment maybe?

Slimbob

Hello,
I’m fairly new at old Evinrude/Johnsons.
Trying to revive an Evinrude SporTwin 10, 10018-15029. I believe it is a '59 QD motor.
I rebuilt the Carb and modified the engine to a single fuel line and fuel pump. New Spark Plugs.
P.O. or someone was in there before and I re-assembled it like I took it apart. Not sure of all the alignments. Only have a SELOC manual but it covers too many engines to be detailed.
Reading a little over 80psi on both cylinder compression tests.
Using 24:1 Fuel mix.

She’s running and shifting and pumping water, but doesn’t want to idle down past START position on the handle.

1. The Tiller handle will not rotate down past START/SLOW with the Idle control all the way out.
Should this rotate all the way to STOP?
Trying to add pics. Will figure it out and add later.
2. Also, the follower for the throttle to the timing plate doesn’t touch until just past the line on the plate. Not sure of a tolerance there.
I’m running this in a barrel so can’t push the RPMs.
3. I have not pulled the flywheel to check points, condenser or coils yet. Seems to run fine off idle.

Thanks,
Slimbob

Better pop the flywheel, check points for continuity. Clean and adjust to .020 right at top of cam @ index mark. Make sure there is NO RESISTANCE when points are closed testing between wire screw and ground with ohms set at R x 1. Make sure coils are set to back edge of chamfer on top of mounting pedestals. We don't want any rubbing on flywheel magnets. Compression is pretty decent if we can trust your gauge.

Perhaps I can add here information presented in another post. Make sure there is no resistance from stator assy. to ground in all throttle positions. Why? Otherwise the strength and reliability of your spark may be compromised. This is often overlooked on these old "wallhangers" that are still in service. I have been, on occasion, seen to carefully add a wire here between stator assy and motor ground.

Last edited:
The writing on the tiller handle is only a suggestion, it will not be exact. The Follower should start to open the carb at the line. What idle control are you talking about?

I happen to have the manual in front of me. assuming it is a '59 10018, the cam adjustment calls for centre of follower to cross the line on cam when throttle shaft begins to turn. They emphasize that one needs to watch the actual shaft, nothing else. Adjust by loosening the cam screws.

Back