Logo

Can I replace my 1992 Force Motor with a Mercury?

Pokkeroo68

I have a 1992 force motor that I have been told by the local marina that it is not worth fixing. I took it out on the water in July 2020 and it worked great for about an hour and all of a sudden started making noises and the next thing it made a loud bang and completely stopped. It would turn over but I had not forward or reverse. Had to be towed into marina thanks to an awesome boater. The marina told me the drive shaft had broken off and pieces went through the motor. They could tell me anything...I know nothing about motors. For all I know they didn't even look at it, I know they rolled their eyes when I told them it was a force. I took the lower end off and noticed the top of the shaft was totally twisted, I don't think is suppose to be like that:confused:. So, if anyone can give me some advise as to whether I can put a Mercury motor on it and use all the same lines and controls, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That depends on the model# and serial#
In 92 they used some Mercury parts?
The shift mechanism, where it connects to the motor would
have a lot to do with the swap.
Pics of the shift cable and connectors where it hooks to the motor??

Hey Jerry, thanks so much for replying. I know the Model# 507Y98D and the Ser# 028508. I will take some pictures and post them as soon as I can.

Hey Jerryjerry05, thanks so much for replying. I know the Model# 507Y98D and the Ser# 028508. I will take some pictures and post them as soon as I can.

The "universal" shifter might be usable but
the cables and cable connectors are different.
The wiring harness is probably wrong too?? Maybe??

Find a Force with good compression and use it, easy swap.

Lots of used outboards come with shifters and harness??
Look around.

Back