Logo

1990 Johnson 70 bogging

jhotch777

I posted about this engine surging a while back. Since then I have replaced coils and power pack. condition improved but still surged after a minute at wot. Found some material in carb I (papery). cleaned it and problem continued. Decided to try pumping the bulb while it was surging and found that if I pumped it vigorously I could get it to stop surging. I mean very vigorously... Pulled fuel pump a part and found that the gasket was blown ( possible source of papery material in carb). got a new fuel pump ( the center screw of old one busted when I was taking it a part). put it on and it ran terribly. blocked carbs with my finger and found second cylinder not reacting when blocked. Pulled it a part and found more paper in the needle seat. removed it cleaned it and engine was almost there, but still slight surge that was curable by pumping primer bulb. Decided to try small electric fuel pump 1.5-4 lbs pressure. Boat ran with no surge at wot but now is kind of boggy and will not break past 3200 rpms... Thoughts? I’m thinking to test with a slightly stronger fuel pump? Also Engine was bought from Kingman AZ at 300 above sea level and I live in Southwest Colorado at 6500’ above sea level...
Link and sync seems good slow forward idle at 720
have not been able to set timing because I can’t get it to stay at 5000 rpms. Fuel mixture setting seems close

Back