Logo

40 hp serial number OG195343 ?

Daddo48

Thinking of purchasing pontoon boat with this motor. Problem is, I'm not looking at the motor and seller says the serial number has worn off but gives me a number of OG195343. No idea where he got it(registration perhaps?) What I find is :
MERCURY1995401040412RD40 HP30 JET

Is this supposed to be a jet drive? Owner(not original) says 1995 40hp. Should I be concerned?

The 40 horse (prop) and 30 horse (jet) are the same powerhead exactly, it's just the lower end that is different.

So mechanically on the engine end they are the same unit.

The Jet is only rated at 30 horse (at the prop end of things) because jets are only about 75% as efficient as a regular prop so a 40 horse prop converted to a jet will yield "about" the equivalent of 30 horses. When you look up parts for the 4 cylinder 40 (from that serial range), it will also list the "jet" components along with the normal prop stuff.

So unless the serial (production number) the owner provided is "bogus", then there is no concern.

Thanks for the answer. I was pretty sure they were basically the same. I kinda figured the numbers were intertwined. I have changed impellers before and my brain questioned whether the drive shaft and water shaft would be shorter on the jet drive. Again, thanks for the answer!

Back