Logo

1988 454 crusaders in storage for 6 yrs

dsolo

Found a TollyCraft up on the hard for 6 yrs. Owner has health problems that never allowed him to go back to boating. Boat had gasoline drain at start of storage. Engines were winterized and fogged.

I know the basics, impellers, batteries, and filters replaced. Check coolant chemistry.

What precautions should I consider with such a long layup? Is fogging enough? Boat was on hard in northern climate. Boat has been fresh water only.

Should I even consider the boat?

If the engines were properly '...winterized and fogged", the engines should be fine...

I'd be concerned about the remaining fuel in the tank as even good stabilizer won't last that long.

You can always hire a surveyor to give it a good checkout...and a good test run should be included...if they (seller) don't want to incur those expenses, the price better factor in the risks there (in other words, the boat should be priced real cheap)...its going to be a 'project boat' - its the duration of the 'project' (& the associated costs) that are unknowns....

What Mark wrote. My Crusaders were basically the same having been carefully stored for an unknown long time They ran great once started, but if you read my "Disaster" post above, one was destroyed by a severe oil leak. I would recommend what I didn't do and that is replace all of the hoses, belts, fluids, etc. including the two high pressure hoses leading to and from the oil filter. The are hard to access and even see.
Ned

Back