Logo

Yamaha 30DEO 2stroke won't stop running.

Corystes

Engine built about 2004. When running, if I turn off the ignition, or pull the kill cord there is no effect. Have checked by grounding white wire from CDI and that stops the engine, so it's unlikely to be a CDI failure. Have run a new wire from ignition + kill switch to ground on the engine. That tested ok and ignition or kill both stopped the engine. But when all connected up for permanent use it worked once then didn't. AVO meter along new wire shows it's conducting current. Any suggestions for what to try next? I can follow recipes but please don't get too technical.

I suspect that your permanent connection is somewhat different from your test connection.

If the white wire being grounded stops the motor then the CDI is working. For some reason the CDI (white wire) is not being grounded from the key switch or kill switch.

What type of control box? The side mount type with the key switch and kill switch?

Boscoe, thanks for a quick response. Yes the remote is the side control with ignition and kill switch. With further investigating and thinking I'm wondering if the fault is with the white wire in the loom. Changing the black ground wire may have been incidental to a short term working, if the white wire was in the process of failing. Having tested both ends of the white at connectors I'm getting no current through the loom section when tested with an AVO meter.
Am I correct in assuming that male end of the bullet connector at the engine leads to the remote (the wiring diagrams I have indicate this)? If so, I should solve the problem by running an extra wire to the remote, using the CDI end (female?) of the white wire.
I you see any snags to this please let me know.

oldncrumbly

Ground comes from motor to control box via the 7/10 pin harness. Ground is applied to the white wire via either the kill switch or the key switch. Ground runs through the white wire back to the CDI on the motor.

A fault anywhere along the way will cause a problem. Maybe these diagrams will help.
zw.png
zw1.png

I was partly right. Was a fault in the white wire. AND in the black ground. Double fault is what threw me. Run 2 new wires from engine to remote and all is working as it should.

Back