Logo
Click for Volvo Penta parts and manuals!

Unhappy Engine crank no start after overheat from bad impeller

Got a problem that's baking my noodle. This is a 2006 8.1L Volvo GiL. I waited too long to change my impeller, so of course it blew and the boat went into protect mode and I swam it back to the marina. Changed the impeller, flushed the lines and went to test start on the trailer with water hooked up. It started, then died. Ever since that first start, it cranks, but doesn't start. I changed the spark plugs and verified I have spark when cranking. The fuel pump starts and I've got constant pressure at the fuel rail, around 50 pounds I believe. Hooked a noid light up to the injectors, and they are firing on crank. Lastly, I've done a compression test and all cylinders were between 120 and 150 psi. Battery is fully charged, and I even went as far as purchasing the 500 dollar Rinda scanner with the adapter for my ECM, and there are no faults. I'm at a huge loss as to where to even go from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Default Re: Engine crank no start after overheat from bad impeller

How did you verify spark. Some engines will send spark to #1 only if cam timing is off

Pulled the plug and grounded the tip with the wire still attached and cranked. Visual spark. I did only verify one plug on crank, then performed a spark test through the scanner on the rest to verify they were electrically working. I will definitely pull the others to verify all 8 spark on crank

Sorry about the italic font.... I'm quoting myself from another thread..... can't seem to change it.

With a known-to-be-good spark plug cable (pushed directly into the ignition coil), and with a known-to-be-good spark plug (body making good engine contact), crank the engine over and look for a whitish/bluish and crisp snapping spark at the plug gap.
    You should see 8 spark events per every 2 crankshaft revolutions.

Use caution regarding gasoline vapors!

Whitish/bluish snapping spark = good hot spark
    Yellowish spark = weak spark

Rick ... aka Ricardo..... AQ series Volvo Penta repair
    Portland, Oregon
    28' SDN F/B w/ twin Volvo Penta 5.7L DP drives

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." Albert Einstein

Please... no PMs! Post your questions on the forum.

Yeah, that's how I did it. I'll do the other 7 today to see if the cam timing is off and it was just a coincidence that I pulled the one cylinder that's firing the spark plug.