Logo

Ignition switch Wiring Orientation

pops86

Contributing Member
I have a 97 200hp Evinrude E200TXEUA.
Recently the forum helped me with a kill switch problem. I ordered a new one and installed. I replaced the wires one at a time. I feel I done that correctly.
The engine cranks and runs well. The problem is, the kill switch still does not kill the engine when the clip is removed (just like it did before). It will start with the clip removed (just like it did before).
My question is: I am the 3rd owner. If a previous owner had replaced the switch and installed the wires incorrectly-possibly switching two wires or more, would this account for my problem?
Is a wiring to switch diagram available to check for the correct wires on the correct posts on my ignition switch?
Thanks!

The clip hooks to the key switch. If I remember right the switch part number was 5005801.
The lanyard that attaches to the key switch simply turns the key off when pulled. If your new switch does not do that then its defective and should be returned. I assume it was installed correctly.

I noticed under "similar threads" Ksan Please help with ignition switch, appears to give me the info I need to check if the wires 6 wires on the backside go to the correct pins.

I noticed under "similar threads" Ksan Please help with ignition switch, appears to give me the info I need to check if the wires 6 wires on the backside go to the correct pins.
There are no wires involved in your safty lanyard.
Ite a mechanical thing.

There are no wires involved in your safty lanyard.
Ite a mechanical thing.

:confused: Are you sure there are no wires? I thought the kill switch was wired to the power packs (or is it coils?) and ground with a normally open circuit. When the lanyard is removed it completes a short to ground and kills all spark.

I have a question: Haven't used the lanyard yet but figure it's a good idea for when i'm alone. From this thread I figured out how it works but I see that it also depresses the ignition switch into the start position when the lanyard is installed. Does that start assist only engage when the motor isn't running or am I missing something? Thanks for your help.

:confused: Are you sure there are no wires? I thought the kill switch was wired to the power packs (or is it coils?) and ground with a normally open circuit. When the lanyard is removed it completes a short to ground and kills all spark.
Your correct for an older kill switch. We are talking about key switch 5005801.

I have a question: Haven't used the lanyard yet but figure it's a good idea for when i'm alone. From this thread I figured out how it works but I see that it also depresses the ignition switch into the start position when the lanyard is installed. Does that start assist only engage when the motor isn't running or am I missing something? Thanks for your help.
it does depress the switch a bit,but it will depress in any position.what is "start assist"?

Not sure what the real term for it is but on the binnacle it says "Push to Start......." and there's a little more. Engine (2000 225 Ficht) starts better cold when this is pushed in. When warm it doesn't matter. I have two lanyards and they both push it in all the way but don't seem to make a difference on how it idles. Haven't tried them at speed.

And here's an observation for Pops86. I couldn't figure out the lanyard until I read posts here because I was trying to use it upside down as that's how the lanyards went on a small Tohatsu and Mercury that I had.

Last edited:
Not sure what the real term for it is but on the binnacle it says "Push to Start......." and there's a little more. Engine (2000 225 Ficht) starts better cold when this is pushed in. When warm it doesn't matter. I have two lanyards and they both push it in all the way but don't seem to make a difference on how it idles. Haven't tried them at speed.

And here's an observation for Pops86. I couldn't figure out the lanyard until I read posts here because I was trying to use it upside down as that's how the lanyards went on a small Tohatsu and Mercury that I had.
All the OMC or BRP binnacles say push to choke.

Back