Logo

290sp bell housing zerc fitting

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I have a 290 that has the red bell housing with a fitting ontop of it. Does that fitting need to be greased and if so how often?
Robert

The grease fitting at the 12 o’clock position on your flywheel cover is for the PDS bearings.
I would recommend greasing them at each engine oil change.
Apply the grease while the engine is operating at idle speed.

Thanks. What type of grease is best and how much should I add? Wouldn’t want to blow out any seals or anything or is that not really possible?
Robert

Stay with the same grease. Mixing greases of different chemistry can cause problems.

If the AFT seal was installed correctly, you will not blow it out.

Continued:

As for grease chemistry.

Certain greases are not compatible with one another. When mixed, they can become liquid like, and will loose their viscosity.

The AFT PDS seal.

This seal installs in the non-conventional direction.... I.E., with the lip and tension spring visible from AFT.
Excessive grease will pass around/through the lip and will simply puke out.
(this is not a water seal.... it's there to hold grease against the open bearing, but not under pressure. excessive amounts will pass through it)

If the seal was installed incorrectly, you can drill a small hole in the seal body.

The FWD PDS seal!

It is imperative that the FWD PDS seal be either glued or staked in place.
If this seal was to be pushed out of position (by excessive grease), no future grease will make it through the AFT bearing.

RE:...

As for grease chemistry.

Certain greases are not compatible with one another. When mixed, they can become liquid like, and will loose their viscosity.

So.... given that the O/P didn't even know what to do with that fitting, what does one do greasing wise if one has no idea what kind of grease is in there now ????

Back