Logo

1987 Johnson 70hp no spark after sitting for a few days

Capecoderrr

Hey guys I could really use some advice figuring out what’s wrong with my 1987 Johnson 70hp, the problems all started a Couple weeks ago when it wouldn’t start which was caused by bad fuel, I drained the carbs and got some ethanol free gas and tried and it fired right up and idled better than ever, the boats on a mooring and I left the gas tank on it come back a couple days later after a storm and it wouldn’t start charged the battery fresh gas still nothing tried checking for spark but didn’t have someone to help me or a remote starter but have one now,gonna confirm no spark today, if anyone could point me in the right direction to pinpoint the problem before I go getting coils and power packs it’d be much appreciated

First thing I would do is load test the battery, even if it is new.----Often a free service at many battery sellers.

First thing I would do is load test the battery, even if it is new.----Often a free service at many battery sellers.

the battery’s good it’s cranking at the right rpm and everything electricaly works, I’m thinking it’s grounding out on the kill switch or some connection is loose I’m just curious what i should be looking for

What ignition components under the cowl got wet??
Check for spark when it's dark outside and you might have your answer.
Tested it with a spark tester and gap tester no spark, top cylinder spark lead was giving me an out of spec reading could that cause it? Would a wirechafe somewhere cause the kill switch to always be on, coils we’re giving me low tolerance ohms

Back