Logo

Oil Pressure

Sleepwalker

Contributing Member
Another gauge question. What would cause the oil pressure gauge to be pegged all the way to the right when the engine is running?
Thanks, Rich

a whole lot of oil pressure....

a shorted sender unit....

the wire to the gauge has a short to ground....

I'd suggest removing the wire at the sender and turn the key to RUN....the gauge should sit on the min peg...

Hi Mark,
I verified 12+ volts between I & G on the gauge back, switch on. I then removed the wire at the sender and turned key to run and the peg was on the min. The manual said to connect the sending unit wire to ground and turn key on, should show the peg on max, which it did. It said if that occurred then the sending unit wire was grounded like you said. I tried running a jumper from the sender (with the existing sender wired disconnected) to the S on the gauge (also disconnected the sender wire there) and it showed the peg at max. I would think if there was a problem with the real sender wire, then the jumper would make the gauge work?

Thanks Mark! Actually have one in stock. Never done it before though. Any special precautions? Do you use pipe sealant on the threads? (Engine is an '86 V-6) --Rich

telfon tape is a no-no....you can use the paste if you want - I prefer locktite PST...a little is adequate....

have an old towel /newspaper /paper towels (or drain pan) depending on you bilge....and some cleaner - you will get some oil coming out of the block when you pull the old one...just enough to make a mess if you aren't prepared...

two concerns I know of....

1) the tape can shred and allow these 'thread' to enter the oil galley
&
2) in some cases, the tape will electrically isolate the sender from the block (sender appear to be 'open')...

I've seen a few cases of the latter on the coolant temp senders....that's the way I was taught in the shop, long before "Y2K" was a thought....

Back