Logo

9.5hp evinrude no spark to top piston

Lodes204

My 9.5hp was running fine and suddenly went on one piston. I figured out the bottom one was working and not the top. Took the flywheel off, checked both coils with a multimeter and they we're both the same and within range, points we're good and set at 0.02. Did a continuity test on the spark plug wire with the cap on and looked fine. Switched the top coil with one I knew worked and still no spark. Switched spark plugs, still no spark. What the hell is wrong?? What am I missing here, any help is appreciated.

Check plug wires for cracks where it comes out of the magneto plate.----And are the coils original ?------Most have failed and it likely has a replacement set !

Fixed it, it was the points.

So now it runs great at low and high speed. It takes a while to get up to high speed. It just doesn't have the snap it should have. (Comparing to a 9.9 that I used over three weekend) I only have a small 12' boat. The mid range seems to be lacking power. After I worked on the points, I soaked the carb, blew air every hole and sprayed wd40 in all holes. Once on the lake I adjusted the slow speed needle as per manual. From take off it just gradually/ slowly gets up to speed. Once there, it flies. Could the slow speed needle be wrongly adjusted? Does it affect mid range also?

Fuel filter and pump is clean, primer bulb also ok.

Great job. As far as power, they fall somewhat below that .4 horsepower difference.....but.....have you tried another trim hole to adjust the bow weight? Or....if you have a 50 pound canine companion have him or her move toward the bow as you pick up to planing speed.......I've done it with Abby, my old girl. She will ride anywhere you put her.....loves the boat.

Yes I have it on the last hole for trim. Also, I'm sure putting weight in the front would help but it feels like its bogging down a bit when I take off then it runs great when it's up to speed. It's just that mid range power I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for the quick replies! Everything helps.

Could be you have barely enough to get the boat on step. What are the numbers off the prop? Several props will fit that ole girl.
One of these is always helpful to set up props on smaller outboards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-104159.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-104159.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back