Logo

1996 evinrude 115hp stalls under load

Justforfun1989

Long time listening first time caller -

Having issues with my motor right now. Ran fine last fall only thing I have touched so far is replacing the water pump. Would run and shift no issues at home on muffs. At the lake under load will start up and idle fine for the most part but the second I put it into gear it just dies instantly. New motor to me last fall but ran then no issues.

120 compression each cylinder. I know they all have good spark but at one point I was doing a drop test with muffs on and found that 1 cylinder was not getting spark as no difference when I pull the plug I found that the plug was loose on the distributor side and snugged that down and now all want to stall when doing a drop test so assuming my spark is not the issue.

Carbs are clean and clear and filter is fine. Can hand choke each carb (4) and they all act normal being choked with a bit of fuel coming back on my hand.

Checked all my fuel lines under the hood no issues all floats working as well. Swapped my entire fuel line from the tank with bulb as well.

All of these tests being performed with muffs after the first time in the lake with no success.

I found a tub big enough today to atleast put some load on it hoping that maybe I just had a loose plug wire. But it was not idling high enough really to keep pulling fuel and keep it running. I do not have a manual either so I apologize. I am also new the bigger motors and really only used to a high and low speed needle super easy to adjust-

SO today while under some load and muffs where the high/low lever is I noticed that if I move this forward about quarter inch it would run and idle forever in that position but as soon as I moved it back to where it originally was it would starve for the most part. I’m thinking I need to adjust idle or RPM just not sure how on this motor OR if I am missing something else and can go back. I know I need to adjust everything on the water under load but Id like to atleast get to a starting point to get on the water and be able to move cause as of now I’m not sure what needs adjusted to even give myself a fighting chance.

Gonna hop on the computer to put some photos wont let me on the phone

Side note when I put the LU back on I had to twist the shift shaft a couple times it must have turned on me a bit but everything went back together and shifts with no issues.

image1.jpgimage0.jpgimage3.jpgimage6.jpgimage5.jpgimage4.jpg
So in the last photo is where I was talking about if I moved this level forward to where I marked with whiteout that is where it felt like it was running with the load.

Those are your timing settings and do not go out of adjustment. If it ran fine last Fall you have other issues

Try. Chocking it as you put in gear. When you say carbs are clean ,does that include the lo speed nozzle and the throttle body?

Try. Chocking it as you put in gear. When you say carbs are clean ,does that include the lo speed nozzle and the throttle body?

So I think on this model I have more of a primer instead of a choke don’t think I can actually choke it from the helm. I could try that manually but would be tough in a logistics sense.

I agree and didn’t think this would have anything to do with it but wasn’t sure if I had connected the shift wrong with the linkage incorrectly that I’d be getting this issues as it runs and shifts fine on the muffs.

Back