Logo

1988 Mercruiser 165 3.7 Qutdrive Problem

Capt. Bill

I was fishing last week, stopped put gear away. Put boat in gear and went about 100 feet and lost propulsion.
No forward, reverse nothing.

Git towed to launch, brought it home, pulled lower unit, engine, Replaced coupling, figured it spun. Had this happen once before with different boat.

Any ways put it all back together, and I still have no propulsion.

Anyone have any ideas ?

When it quit working, it did not make any noise at all. Engine revs put will not engage prop.

Thanks in advance, Bill

Resized_20200808_160335.jpegResized_20200808_160341.jpegResized_20200808_160445.jpeg

Yes LOTS of shavings, drive gear GONE!!!

I have an other out-drive, Top half is good. But; I am not sure how to align the shift linkage to work when I combine the two parts,
any suggestions ????
Got me scratching my head. When I put it together and installed it, I can't shift it into neutral or reverse.

usually lack of oil will do that. When correctly assembled the brass shift shoe will be in a straight line and the prop will lock CCW

Thank You.
I used top half of a unit I had kicking around, took a few tries to get the shift lined up. But, it is working fine now.

I will NOT make that mistake again.

If you used the lower unit that was connected to the one you 'cooked'...you better take it apart and make sure its clean....

Back