Logo

Older Yamaha 70hp 2-stroke oil pump output test, precision blend

bfriendly

I have a 3cyl yamaha 70etlk (~1985) that's running good on mixed gas after about 15 years sitting. I've moved on from the fuel and tilt system, time to go through the oil system or (possibly) order a blockoff plate.

The regular service manual I have does not specify a quantity for the test! (I'm talking about the test where you disconnect the throttle link, run engine on premix, and run for 3 minutes with oil line into a test tube/syringe --I usually run for 12min and divide by 4). It seems odd but I can't find the full oil pump output volume test anywhere in the manual, only an air bleeding procedure & test that checks for presence of oil flow over 10min of running./

I was able to find a pdf service manual online with a bunch of yamaha models all grouped together, the "oil flow test" was not described clearly (WHAT RPM???) but there was a chart, specs it showed are as follow: 50-70hp 2.0-2.4 cc(ml)/3min OR 65J-90hp 2.8-3.4cc/3min

My results with the throttle arm disconnected and the lever moved to allow for max oil flow, per each oil line are as follows (12min test divided by 4): 1.25-1.5cc/3min. I don't have an rpm gauge hooked up but this was at idle, and same/similar results when I bumped rpm up a little to what sounded to me like ~1500rpm.

When I try the test with the throttle lever on oil pump back towards the idle position, I get very low flow, but some, maybe estimate .3cc/3min, could perhaps be normal if we're talking ~100:1 at that point

I have done the bleeding procedure prior to doing this test. I feel like my results are far enough off the specs that I likely/may have a problem, but also it could be the spec I found are not really relevant to my motor! I haven't yet got the 3-light warning gauge working, but I have verified that the low oil buzzer works. I'd like to fix/keep the system ideally, but I'm definitely open to bypassing it.

Any thoughts, experience, or resources would be very greatly appreciated!

If I bump the idle rpm up to a fast idle, (around 1800rpm) the results are within the specs, ~3cc/3min
I installed new clear oil line and that helped a lot- visually you can see it pumping oil. At ~1500rpm, when the lines are initially empty with air, it pumps the oil slowly with the oil level in each line jumping up about 1/4-inch every 2-3 seconds.

I think it might be running normally OR it may be somewhat under-oiling. I know I will need 3 new check valves, and I haven't started digging in on the electrical side of things yet to get the "gauge" working. If the cowl didn't have the oil cap in it, I'd be leaning towards premix & a blockoff plate, as it is I'm leaning toward getting everything working!

Again any thoughts or input, especially whether or not the above numbers sound like an acceptable range of oil pump output, and anything to look out for to keep the system reliable long term would be greatly appreciated

You tests are inconclusive as you dont have a tach to verify RPM.. Yes motor runs close to 100:1 at idle and around 55-60:1 at WOT...I myself dont think you have a problem..just run good oil.

Some/many Yams run at or near 200:1 at idle. Darn hard to measure.

If the oil pump is working then it is working. They very rarely ever fail. If ever.

Back